• Page:

TOPIC:

February 20th 12 years 1 month ago #2330

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
1900 - Cronje's laager bombarded. De Wet attempts to relieve Cronje. Colenso occupied. Further attack on Clements. Boer withdrawal from Colesberg begins.
1902 - Col. Park surprises Muller in the Bothasberg.
1907 - Transvaal elections. Gen. Botha forms Ministry.

In Kimberley the final entry in the diary of Colonel Kekewich:

Lord Methuen arrived. Orders received for Col Porters Vrigade to leave early to-morrow to join the Cavalry Div. As Barkly West reported strongly held by enemy, it was decided to withdraw our Dets at Riverton Pumping Station and MacFarlanes siding. Orders issued accordingly.

A small patrol of 4 men sent to Barkly West has not returned.

In Mafeking:

Be-transferred my residence to the town, the firing is heavier down here through the day, and also, indeed, the night, but here we are under cover.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 20th 8 years 1 month ago #45315

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

Things look brighter today. Buller’s guns are booming in the distance, and it is said, he can throw his shells among the rebels on Bulwan, on the side farthest from Ladysmith, that is, on the side nearest Colenso. — Rebels said to be driving off all our plundered cattle, into the republic and apparently making preparations to evacuate Natal. — Yesterday a German gunner was taken prisoner by our men. He says Ladysmith is doomed, for the rebels are determined to have it. I think not. Unless the troops are withdrawn for want of food. Our out-pickets are always on the alert, night and day. Our volunteers are grand scouts.
Dr David Biggins

February 20th 7 years 1 month ago #52086

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

The boom of the cannon sounded much nearer today. They say Buller still holds his position on Bloy's farm. Colonel Green received a heliograph today from Major (Duncan) Mackenzie saying "Best wishes from us all, tide looks much like turning". So we are in hopes of soon hearing something like relief. Wilfrid not so well tonight. His temperature 102.8. The last few nights it has been 99.4- so that is a big jump. I do hope he will be alright tomorrow. Perhaps it is a little malarial caused by the change in the weather. It is cold and raining. Such a change after this long spell of extreme heat. 

Mr. Normand came to see us this afternoon. It is his birthday. He says he spent his 20th as a Prisoner of War at the time of the Jameson Raid, and now on his 22 rd he is a prisoner here, as it were.

We made him a cake this morning, very plain, no eggs or butter. It is marvellous what can be done with nothing, and how everything that is sweet with a currant or two is thought to be most delicious. I walked as far as the hospital this afternoon to see Nurse Bradbury. I saw some of the patients. Young Cecil Molyneux looking bright and well, said he was discharged. Nurse Dean is a little better. Now I must away to bed. Poor Glen Jameson is to be moved back to Hospital tomorrow morning. I am afraid he has dysentry. I feel very sorry for him. I received another siege envelope today. This one came through the post addressed to Miss Bella Craw, Volunteer Hospital, Murchison Street, Ladysmith, and it had nothing inside, so I don't know who my "Correspondent” was, but it has the stamp "Siege Post, Ladysmith" across the stamp, which makes the value, and I am delighted with my unknown friend.
Dr David Biggins

February 20th 7 years 1 month ago #52087

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Very restless from 1 o’clock. Sitting up most of the time. Dressed soon after 6 o’clock and came to town soon after breakfast. The Doctor has offered me a bedroom so there is a prospect of resting my sore and weary limbs. It worries me as I cannot ride in my present condition. I’ve now to get permission from Reg. Surgeon. Hear an occasional cannon sounding much nearer. Our relief will not be long coming now. Beautifully cool - expect more rain. No news, there being no sun the heliograph hasn’t been at work.

Brought kit down having arranged matters satisfactorily. Doctor and I talked from 8 till 10.30, when we turned in. What a change to get into a bed after those wretched hard boards, though I’ve often slept soundly on boulders. Still I was restless, all my bones in my body seemed to ache and at times the feeling is that what little flesh there is left on is being scraped off giving me fits. I must have caught a chill, the temperature varying so tremendously during the past few days.
Dr David Biggins

February 20th 7 years 1 month ago #52096

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good gracious, a wretched Wagnerian gunner, defiant to the last, absolutely typical, I do hope any smile was quickly removed and replaced with the look and feel off reality, he had shot his bolt, doubtless, on occasion, at women and children for the last time.
I tend to agree with Watson, many of the colonies Militia and Volunteers were, indeed, grand scouts.

djb wrote: From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

Things look brighter today. Buller’s guns are booming in the distance, and it is said, he can throw his shells among the rebels on Bulwan, on the side farthest from Ladysmith, that is, on the side nearest Colenso. — Rebels said to be driving off all our plundered cattle, into the republic and apparently making preparations to evacuate Natal. — Yesterday a German gunner was taken prisoner by our men. He says Ladysmith is doomed, for the rebels are determined to have it. I think not. Unless the troops are withdrawn for want of food. Our out-pickets are always on the alert, night and day. Our volunteers are grand scouts.

February 20th 6 years 1 month ago #57615

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Relieved at 6.30 p.m. Showers of rain came on just as we were returning.

Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.418 seconds