• Page:

TOPIC:

March 3rd 12 years 1 month ago #2424

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
1898 - Governor of the Cape, Sir Alfred Milner, opens the Graaf Reinet - Middelburg railway line
1900 - Mafeking siege day 142 (65%).
1901 - Attack on Lichtenburg by De la Rey beaten off.
1903 - Railway Extension Conference meets at Johannesburg.
1909 - Dinuzulu found guilty of harbouring rebels.

In Mafeking:

The Boers tried dynamiting our trenches last night, but failed, our advanced parties are within forty yards of each other. At dawn the big gun, which had shifted back to the south-east heights from where she flanks our brickfield advance, commenced heavy fire, sending thirty-six or thirty-eight shells before breakfast, and mortally wounding Sergeant-Major Taylor of the Cape Boys; we also had four or five others wounded more or less severely. They, however, stuck to their ground, in shallow trenches which were hardly any protection, and that we suffered no greater loss is a matter of astonishment to everybody.

Our seven-pounders then commenced on their trenches, and the firing was heavy all round the whole morning. The Boers contemplated renewing their entertainment in the afternoon, but our snipers had crept up to within about eight hundred yards of the big gun and commenced picking off the gunners. Trooper Webb, CP., fortunately shot their Artillery Officer whilst laying the gun, at a fairly early stage in the performance, and this seemed to damp their enthusiasm. They commenced running about like a lot of disturbed ants, messengers were dispatched to the laager, their doctor arrived on horseback, and they then proceeded to hoist three Red Cross flags on the work. They carried a stretcher under a guard towards the laager and met a carriage, but he was apparently too bad to be put in that, and the carriage returned to the laager, when some mounted men rode forth, and, meeting the stretcher, dismounted and followed behind. Altogether they seemed very depressed whilst we were correspondingly the reverse, and in the confusion the big gun forgot to go off, and was removed before dark. With the exception of musketry the rest of the day was quiet. Our saps have now crossed each other.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

March 3rd 7 years 1 month ago #52369

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

A Great Day. No sooner finished breakfast than I heard the pipes and drums of the Gordons and on ascertaining, found that Buller and his forces were making their entry. I took a stand near the Town Hall, and after waiting two hours, the column advanced, and as each regiment passed the saluting post, Sir G. White, the cheering was tremendous. Sir R. Buller, as he rode past looked old, worried and angry. For 3 hours troops were passing, all of which came in for an ovation. The sight was one of a life time and I am highly gratified having witnessed it. Following the march past, the Citizens presented an Address through the Mayor to Sir. Geo. White, who made a capital speech in reply. Received five letters from Nancie, Kate, Alice, Agnes and Yule, and an invitation from Uncle Arthur Timewell, Chicago, to attend Violet’s marriage with Dr. William John Nixon Davis. Mr. McVarish has just handed me the printed orders of last night giving congratulatory telegrams etc. These I hope to have framed.
Dr David Biggins

March 3rd 7 years 1 month ago #52370

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

I posted nine fat letters to you at Jullundur on 1st, and on return from our flying column that same night was much horrified by a rumour that you had come to South Africa, and were nursing in the hospital at Wynberg. I couldn’t stop the letters, or do anything but wait in hopes of a letter or wire from you to say where you were.

Now a first instalment of letters has come with two from you out of all the crowd there must be, one 28th November and one 25th January, 1900, so there seems no system in the way they are forwarded, and it is very difficult to make out from them what has happened and where you really are, though, thank God, it is clear that you were well when you last wrote, and apparently there is no truth in the shave of your going to South Africa, which is a great relief to my feelings, as you never even mentioned the possibility of such an idea, but talk of not moving till K’s leave is up and then, perhaps, going to Coonoor.

You seem to have sold up everything and moved somewhere from our house. I wonder why?

I expect more letters will drift in in a day or so, and then I shall understand better. I have now written out a wire for you to Jullundur, and shall look out for the first chance of sending it through, and hope you will do the same, now you know the line is open. The whole of Buller’s force marched in this morning while we lined the streets. Of course, there was wild enthusiasm when the 2nd battalion marched down our line. They all look very well and fit.

I believe they are camped three or four miles out to the west. I expect some will come over.

Everything at sixes and sevens as yet, and no orders whatever regarding our future, and they say nothing will be done for a fortnight, beyond clearing up, reorganising, repairing the railway, and getting up supplies. Then we shall get final orders. Food is coming in fast, and already we have whiskey, baccy, jam and plenty of biscuit in the mess, and I believe bread will be issued tomorrow.

Hope to get lots more letters in a day or two, as I don’t feel as if I knew much yet about anybody.

I saw dear Gingerina today, looking very well. I should like to buy her back if Colonel Hamilton will sell her.

The excitement about the regiment and its doings seems to have been intense at home. Good! I hope they will give me something nice in consequence. I must get home this summer and attend a levee, etc., nothing like counting chickens before they are hatched!
Dr David Biggins

March 3rd 7 years 1 month ago #52371

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

A day I shall never never forget. A day to make us all realize we are relieved at last. At 9.30 the troops began to pass in the direction of the Town Hall where, they said, General White and General Buller were to receive their addresses, and all the troops to pass on their way to Tin Camp. The General (W) took up his position and all his staff and officers from the different regiments behind him. Regiment after regiment passed and the cheers were deafening. I am sure there are many sore throats tonight. It took over two hours for them all to pass. They all looked so fit. When General White's own regiment passed and they saw him, some of the men ran out of their ranks and waved their hats before him, cheering at the top of their voices. It was a sight I should not like to have missed. All the band they had was the Gordon Highlanders bagpipes. Uncle Joe went up with us. Poor old Bert is very seedy. I am sure he needs a change if any of us do.
Dr David Biggins

March 3rd 7 years 1 month ago #52375

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Sir George White watching Relief Force entering Ladysmith.

Image from The Second Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers in the South African War, by Cecil Francis Romer and Arthur Edward Mainwaring
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

March 3rd 7 years 1 month ago #52376

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

General Sir Redvers Buller, V.C., entering Ladysmith

Image from The Second Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers in the South African War, by Cecil Francis Romer and Arthur Edward Mainwaring
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.540 seconds