Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Captain The Honourable Douglas Henry Marsham, k.i.a. at Mafeking 5 years 5 months ago #60918

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 939
Captain Marsham's grave at Mafikeng Cemetery

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Captain The Honourable Douglas Henry Marsham, k.i.a. at Mafeking 4 years 4 months ago #66703

• jayser100
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I would like to thank those who have posted the information about Captain Marsham. I live in a road named after him in Maidstone, where his family originally resided before moving to Norfolk - I have lived there for 14 years without knowing anything other than the fact he was the son of the 4th Earl Romney.

Having found out about his bravery in Mafeking, I shall be very proud to continue living in Douglas Road.

The road was not named in his honour after his death as you might have imagined - his wealthy father sold some land to property developers in 1888 and asked that the roads be named after his children, however in a road adjoining ours, there is a pair of Victorian semi-detached houses built in 1900 and they are called 'Mafeking Villas.' Clearly this was a tribute by the house builder to his memory.

I shared your information with the 5,000 plus members of a Facebook group I am a member of, dedicated to the history of Maidstone and it was very well received with many favourable comments from others who live or who have lived, in Douglas Road without knowing the fascinating history associated with him.

Thanks again to all of you!

Captain The Honourable Douglas Henry Marsham, k.i.a. at Mafeking 4 years 4 months ago #66707

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
Thank you for the additional info, jayser100, it all adds to the overall picture.

Re. 'Mafeking Villas', I wouldn't be so sure that they were specifically named after Douglas Marsham. The Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury, of 10.1.1902, reported that "Amongst homes for sale at Peterborough at the present moment are four named Mafeking-villas and five Transvaal-villas." Builders cashing in on patriotism as an incentive to buy.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.445 seconds