Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Horse trough, Martock, Somerset 7 years 6 months ago #48987

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Berenice

I continue to be impressed by the Boer War memorials that you have manged to find. My thanks to you again.

This war evidently made a great impression on the people of Britain, probably not surprisingly in view of the large number of casualties from all corners of the country. Was there a similar proliferation of memorials in Ireland?

Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Horse trough, Martock, Somerset 7 years 6 months ago #48988

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451

Brett Hendey wrote: This war evidently made a great impression on the people of Britain, probably not surprisingly in view of the large number of casualties from all corners of the country. Was there a similar proliferation of memorials in Ireland?
t

Morning Brett

Yes, but on a smaller scale and no horse troughs - yet. The south being Catholic there are far less memorials in churches than in Protestant north and England, Scotland and Wales. Then there is the Irish independence angle to consider, for some the Irish men fighting in the British Army were traitors. The proliferation of memorials is also linked to wealth, I don't know for sure but I am certain that in Ireland at this period the general mass of the Irish population was less well off than their counterparts in England, Scotland and Wales.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Horse trough, Martock, Somerset 7 years 6 months ago #48989

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300

Brett Hendey wrote: Berenice

I continue to be impressed by the Boer War memorials that you have manged to find. My thanks to you again.

This war evidently made a great impression on the people of Britain, probably not surprisingly in view of the large number of casualties from all corners of the country. Was there a similar proliferation of memorials in Ireland?

Regards
Brett

Another good question! Apparently, there are at least 29 ABW memorials of various description in Northern Ireland, and I also found a list of Irish ABW memorials www.irishwarmemorials.ie/Memorials?warId=13 The major cities and towns in the Republic of Ireland have one or two.
Thanks for the question, Brett. I'd not thought about the Republic before, and now I have somewhere else to go visit!

Horse trough, Martock, Somerset 7 years 6 months ago #48992

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451

BereniceUK wrote: Another good question! Apparently, there are at least 29 ABW memorials of various description in Northern Ireland, and I also found a list of Irish ABW memorials www.irishwarmemorials.ie/Memorials?warId=13 The major cities and towns in the Republic of Ireland have one or two.
Thanks for the question, Brett. I'd not thought about the Republic before, and now I have somewhere else to go visit!

I've recorded 17 in the North and 36 in the Republic, undoubtedly there are more.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Horse trough, Martock, Somerset 7 years 6 months ago #48994

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I would certainly expect to see such memorials located in the most central areas within villages and towns, with the result that more animals would benefit, it is just as well the horse is no longer used as a principal mode of transport, certainly none would benefit if they were filled with plants as seems to be normal these days.

djb wrote: That's fantastic. Never seen one of those before.

Do you know why the memorial is located there?

Horse trough, Martock, Somerset 7 years 6 months ago #48998

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
During my visit to Northern Ireland I kept my eyes open but I spent most of my time in some small towns and visiting the sites of Game of Thrones...... Saw a number of WW1 but no Boer War memorials..... One interesting one I did see was a memorial to 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division, U.S. Army..... Oh yes also a memorial to a British Officer who was Beheaded by the Spanish during the Peninsular wars......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.800 seconds