• Page:

TOPIC:

Netley Hospital, Southampton 5 years 5 months ago #61104

• Elmarie
  • Elmarie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 950
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Netley Hospital, Southampton 5 years 5 months ago #61109

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Thankyou Elmarie…… Maybe if I had done a search here first I would have found out about Netley.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Netley Hospital, Southampton 5 years 5 months ago #61129

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello Elmarie

Where is your list of Netley casualties taken from?

I am working through a list taken from Soldier's Effects on Ancestry to pull out the ABW casualties. I've got another 80 or so names to check before I am finished and can publish the results.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Netley Hospital, Southampton 5 years 5 months ago #61134

• Elmarie
  • Elmarie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 950
Hello Meurig

I am working with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's list and also on this website with some photos of the graves: www.netley-military-cemetery.co.uk/burials-from-1864-to-2003/
On my list I have a Private J Braman, 5th Battalion Manchester Regiment who died at Netley January 13th 1902, they listed him as Brennan and died January 10th 1902.

Regards
Elmarie
Elmarie Malherbe

Netley Hospital, Southampton 5 years 5 months ago #61140

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451

Elmarie wrote: Hello Meurig

I am working with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's list and also on this website with some photos of the graves: www.netley-military-cemetery.co.uk/burials-from-1864-to-2003/
On my list I have a Private J Braman, 5th Battalion Manchester Regiment who died at Netley January 13th 1902, they listed him as Brennan and died January 10th 1902.

Regards
Elmarie

From The Register : Pte 7599 J Brennan 10-01-1902 - place and date from Soldier's Effects, Ancestry.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Netley Hospital, Southampton 5 years 5 months ago #61157

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 180
Evening All

QSA to 3149 TPR : A.C.J.H. LANGSTON. KITCH : HORSE

Prisoner 18 February 1900 near Paardeberg

At Paardeberg Kitchener proceeded to order his infantry and mounted troops into a series of uncoordinated frontal assaults against the Boer laager. This was despite the fact that the cost of frontal assaults against entrenched Boers had been demonstrated time and again the preceding months. It was no different this time. The British were shot down in droves. It is thought that not a single British soldier got within 200 yards of the Boer lines. By nightfall on 18 February, some 24 officers and 279 men were killed and 59 officers and 847 men wounded. Judged by British casualties it was the most severe reverse of the war and became known as Bloody Sunday.

Kelly-Kenny had warned Kitchener not to leave "Kitchener's Kopje" undefended. Possession of the kopje was essential to guard the south-east of the British position and prevent Cronjé's escape. But Kitchener, in his zeal for an all-out attack, had left the kopje defended by only a handful of "Kitchener's Horse" of which Langston was one. De Wet was therefore able to take the kopje with little resistance.

The SAFF Casualty list has the following for Kitcheners Horse, at Paardeberg or Near Paardeberg on the 18th February :

Killed 3
Wounded 6
Died of wounds 1
Prisoner 24
He was released along with other prisoners once Pretoria had surrendered, and it would seem he was treated in the Cape and then evacuated to England where he was admitted to Netley Hospital, The medal roll states "Died Netley Hospl Engl 25/9/00"

I always thought this was so and that he was buried at Netley, but I found a newspaper report from Lloyds Weekly Newspaper dated 30th September 1900 which showed the results of the inquest, it would appear he died in London whilst on furlough.

So an interesting story of one of the patients who was at Netley Hospital

Jon
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, SWB, BereniceUK, AngelB

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.307 seconds