Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

William Holmes, Howden Coy., 2nd V.B. East Yorkshire Regt.-died 5.6.1900 5 years 2 months ago #62016

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
The memorial tablet is in St Michael's Church, Eastrington, East Yorkshire, about 3 miles north-east of Howden. While at the church, I was told that the family still farms at Portington, ¾ mile north of Eastrington.

Harry, William's younger brother, was killed in action in France, June 1916, and his memorial is to the right. His CWGC entry reads: -
Private
HOLMES, H
Service Number 23397
Died 03/06/1916
Aged 26
7th Bn. Canadian Infantry
Son of Thomas William and Mary Holmes, of Manor House, Eastrington, Hull, England.

Whoever inscribed William's memorial looks to have made the error of initially writing IGS, then trying to correct the mistake (it should be IHS).

The list of casualties in the papers on Saturday contained the name of Private Holmes, who died of fever at Bloemfontein. He was the son of Mr T. W. Holmes, Eastrington, and one of the most soldierly young men in the Howden corps.

Hull Daily Mail, Monday 11th June 1900

MEMORIAL TO PRIVATE W. HOLMES . - A large congregation, including the Howden Volunteer Corps, of which Private Holmes had long been a member, assembled in the Parish Church, on Sunday, when a marble tablet was unveiled and dedicated by the Vicar, the Rev. T. F. Minshull, to the deceased's memory. The tablet was erected by the deceased's parents. Previous to going out as a Volunteer to South Africa, Holmes was engaged as a porter at Eastrington H. and B. [Hull and Barnsley] Station. He was of a jovial and kind disposition, and had made many friends. His death soon after reaching South Africa in June came as a shock to his relatives and friends in the village. After the dedication ceremony the Vicar gave an appropriate and touching address, stating that it seemed a short time since he bade the deceased "Good-bye and God speed." He was then robust and strong, and everyone then looked forward to the time when he might again return to his native village.

Hull Daily Mail, Monday 26th November 1900
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

William Holmes, Howden Coy., 2nd V.B. East Yorkshire Regt.-died 5.6.1900 5 years 2 months ago #62017

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Other than the IHS, that is a very nicely engraved plaque. I wonder why they did not try to cover up the 'g'?
Dr David Biggins

William Holmes, Howden Coy., 2nd V.B. East Yorkshire Regt.-died 5.6.1900 5 years 2 months ago #62022

• BereniceUK
A quick attempt at trying to rectify the error before it was unveiled, perhaps? The best solution would have been to cut out the area that had the IGS, and then inscribe IHS into the depressed area that was left, but I don't know if that can be done with marble.

I had a look round Eastrington Burial Ground, couldn't see any Holmes's on headstones, but have since found that some Portington families were buried at Holme upon Spalding Moor. I'm over that way in April, so will look then for any mention of William on a family headstone.

A description and photo of the railway station that William worked at - www.disused-stations.org.uk/n/north_eastrington/

William Holmes, Howden Coy., 2nd V.B. East Yorkshire Regt.-died 5.6.1900 5 years 2 months ago #62024

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
It sounds like you will have another busy year of travel?
Dr David Biggins

William Holmes, Howden Coy., 2nd V.B. East Yorkshire Regt.-died 5.6.1900 5 years 2 months ago #62025

• BereniceUK
I retire from full-time work early next year, so I'm seeing as much of the UK as I can now, before I have my two big post-retirement American holidays. As I'm going to be staying in Hull one weekend in April, to see a band, I'll also be visiting various churches in East Yorkshire, to photograph ABW-related memorials (plus trips later that month to London and Edinburgh).

William Holmes, Howden Coy., 2nd V.B. East Yorkshire Regt.-died 5.6.1900 5 years 2 months ago #62028

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
2019 & 2020 are going to be a fantastic years for you, Berenice.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds