Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

John Charles Pickin, Kaffrarian Rifles - died from wounds, 1.2.1901 4 years 10 months ago #64122

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
At St Gregory's Church, Fledborough, Nottinghamshire, which is a redundant church, but open daily, thanks to being cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust. A very plain memorial plaque, not the easiest to read - I had to use flash to pick up the lettering. Made locally, I'd guess.

IN MEMORY OF JOHN CHARLES
FOURTH SON OF THE LATE
JOHN CHARLES PICKIN OF
FLEDBOROUGH MANOR NOTTS
CORPORAL IN THE KAFFRARIAN
RIFLES WHO DIED AT BLOEMFONTEIN
FEB 1 FROM WOUNDS RECEIVED
IN ACTION AT TABAKSBERG
S. AFRICA JAN 29 1901 AGED 23

I can only find a very brief notice of his death, in the Lincoln, Rutland, and Stamford Mercury, of 22.2.1901, under the Newark deaths.
"Feb 1, near Bloemfontein, from wounds, corp. John Charles (Kaffrarian Rifles) fourth son of the late John Charles Pickin, of Fledborough Manor, 23."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Gregory%27s_Church,_Fledborough
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

John Charles Pickin, Kaffrarian Rifles - died from wounds, 1.2.1901 4 years 10 months ago #64123

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
Berenice,

That is an excellent find. What great detective work!

J C Pickin was at Wepener and other than an incorrect date of death, I have nothing else on him so this is a very useful addition to his information. Many thanks.
Dr David Biggins

John Charles Pickin, Kaffrarian Rifles - died from wounds, 1.2.1901 4 years 10 months ago #64124

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
No detective work at all, except inside the church, as I took me ages to locate the plaque. It was so plain, and the lettering so faint in the half-gloom, that I didn't think it was the plaque I was looking for, and I'd about given up when I decided to look closely at the inscription. It's recorded by the IWM website, so I knew it was at the church. www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26990

You can see part of Fledborough railway viaduct from outside the church too. www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4243852

John Charles Pickin, Kaffrarian Rifles - died from wounds, 1.2.1901 4 years 10 months ago #64125

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Berenice
Palmer shows him as "976 Cpl. J.C.Picking of KR". Date of death shown as 1/2/01. Stirling quotes Lord Kitchener's despatch of 8/3/01 in which he mentions the action at Tabaksberg on the 29th. The KR were part of a column which fought a hotly contested action against DeWet's rear-guard and lost five killed and about twenty wounded. The Kaplan roll shows "976 Crpl. J.C. Picken of the KR as being entiled to clasps "Wepener", "Wittebergen", "Cape Colony" and "Transvaal" on the QSA forwarded to his NoK.
Regards
IL.

John Charles Pickin, Kaffrarian Rifles - died from wounds, 1.2.1901 4 years 10 months ago #64128

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Watt, shows him as 976 Corporal J C Pickin, died of wounds on the 1st of February 1901, after being wounded two days beforehand at Winburg near Tabaksburg and was buried there.

John Charles Pickin, Kaffrarian Rifles - died from wounds, 1.2.1901 4 years 10 months ago #64130

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 245
Memorial / grave at East London Cemetery
Note spelling is Picking.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.639 seconds