• Page:

TOPIC:

Books: Account of the battle of Tofrek (1885) added 2 months 4 weeks ago #95783

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4718

While the battle of Tofrek was fought a few years before the Boer War, some of those present at Tofrek on 22 March 1885 were also to return to Africa 14 years later. This book has been prompted by research into Captain Elmhirst Rhodes who was one of those people.

www.angloboerwar.com/books/268-galloway-...way-battle-of-tofrek
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Books: Account of the battle of Tofrek (1885) added 2 months 4 weeks ago #95784

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Wikipedia

The painting by Charles Edwin Fipp of the engagement at Tofrek
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Books: Account of the battle of Tofrek (1885) added 2 months 4 weeks ago #95791

• Sturgy
  • Thank you received: 337
Hi David,

Thanks for posting this book; I have an interest in that period for a number of reasons; which you probably know about anyway:

1. Prior to the failed Nile Expedition of 1884-1885 Lord Worsely could do no wrong; afterwards and with the death of Gordon his flame started to dwindle and then Black Week in South Africa snuffed out what ever was left. A real turning point in British military politics.

2. The first time NSW troops left to fight for England was at Suakin and the Egyptian medals are quite sought after; not that I have one; but they also arrived after the battle.

3. Like you said some British soldiers fought in South Africa and the Eqyptian Wars and are fun to research; I only have one group with both medals; hopefully more in the future.

4. The Berkshire Regiment, I think from memory, was given the Royal title after this battle.

Thanks

Regards,
Sturgy
Speak my name so that I may live again
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Books: Account of the battle of Tofrek (1885) added 2 months 4 weeks ago #95796

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Sturgy,

I am pleaded you found it useful. I did have a look afterwards for more Berkshire men who had continued on to the Boer War but I did not find any in a brief search. There should be more.

Yes, you are correct about the Royal prefix being added after the battle. That is quite the battle honour.

Those Egypt Medals to the NSW Boatmen are very appealing but also very expensive so I will continue to admire them when they appear in catalogues. They are like the NW Canada Medals to the Northcote.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sturgy

Books: Account of the battle of Tofrek (1885) added 2 months 3 weeks ago #95800

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1583
David
The inclusion of books such as this can be very handy in backgrounding a recipient/recipients. The boatmen to which you refer were actually "Canadian Nile Voyageurs"; recruited by Garnet Wolseley after his experience with them during the Red River Rebellion in 1870. NSW did have an Infantry Bn and an Artillery battery in the Sudan - however they were awarded the Egypt medal with clasp "Suakin 1885".
Regards
IL.

Books: Account of the battle of Tofrek (1885) added 2 months 3 weeks ago #95802

• Sturgy
  • Thank you received: 337
Just a quick question for the military buffs; for those soldiers that were seconded to the Headquarter Staff; what were their duties?

Were they guards for the General staff or did they have to perform any other tasks?

The reason I ask is that I have the medal group to the solider (in yellow below) who was seconded to the General Head Quarters staff for the 1884/1885 failed Nile Expedition in Egypt.

The medal roll for the HQ is only 3 pages long; starts with Lord Wolseley and is signed by Sir Redvers Buller.

The same soldier went on to fight in the second Boer War (wounded); he missed the Battle of Tofrek because he was at the depot in Suakin but was also present for the more successful intervention in 1882.

Any help would be appreciated; thanks.

Speak my name so that I may live again
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.510 seconds