• Page:

TOPIC:

new introduction 9 years 5 months ago #23515

• linton
  • linton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all, many thanks for allowing me to join the site.

My name is Mark, and I have been looking into my family history, and am now trying to fill it out with more detail.

As an ex member of the forces and also a son and grandson of ex soldiers, I am trying to find any and all information I can find about military men in the family.

I have recently found information on FMP about a relative who fourt in the Boer war, and wondered if any body would be able to shed more light on this man.

I have a seen a copy of the attestation of Edmund Linton born 1883 who signed into the militia medical staff Corp in 1901 aged 18 in Bournemouth Hampshire. His service no was M423
Findmypast also says there is a record of Anglo Boer war 1899_1902 on roll 224.

I cannot find this man or roll 224 on this site or any other I have looked at to find if Edmund did serve in the war, or not.

Can anybody please help with any records or information.
Many thanks for taking the time to read this, and for any help you may be able to give.
Thank you
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

new introduction 9 years 5 months ago #23517

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Hello Mark,

A warm welcome to the Forum.

I had a look at the medal rolls and M423 E Linton is on the medal roll WO100/224p193 as serving in the Royal Armt Medical Corps. He earned the clasps CC OFS Tr SA01 and SA02. There is no note to say where is served in the RAMC. Is there more information on his service papers?

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: linton

new introduction 9 years 5 months ago #23520

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
A brief look at WO96 confirms that Linton served in Number 2 Company of the Militia Medical Staff Corps with actual service in South Africa from the 27th of November 1901 to the 29th of July 1902, interestingly, he was not disembodied until the 21st of February the following year, so a both interesting and well deserved medal.

djb wrote: Hello Mark,

A warm welcome to the Forum.

I had a look at the medal rolls and M423 E Linton is on the medal roll WO100/224p193 as serving in the Royal Armt Medical Corps. He earned the clasps CC OFS Tr SA01 and SA02. There is no note to say where is served in the RAMC. Is there more information on his service papers?

Best wishes
David

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

new introduction 9 years 5 months ago #23521

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Thanks Frank.

The M prefix to his number represents the Militia arm of the RAMC?
Dr David Biggins

new introduction 9 years 5 months ago #23524

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello David,
Yes indeed! :)
Scarce things too!
Regards Frank

new introduction 9 years 5 months ago #23529

• linton
  • linton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Frank and David, thanks a lot for your replies. I appreciate your help and information. Thanks you.

David in your post , you put that Edmund was awarded clasp CC OFS Tr SA01 SA02 can you let me know what that means ( sorry for being ignorant in these matters).
You also mentioned WO100/224 p193 which I take as war office 100 roll 224 page 193 (I assume where you got the information ??) where can I see or get a copy of this from ?

Frank you also mentioned WO 96, where you gave me some of Edmunds service details. Again where could I see this information (or is it not possible).

You also mentioned that he was disembodied in 1903, so therefore stopped after hostility ended, any reason for this ? Was it just to help out with medical needs after the war.is this why you put it is an interesting and deserved medal?

You also mentioned the M prefix to his service number being scarce, is this scarce as a number or scarce for a militia member to serve, or scarce on a medal roll ?

Lastly was Edmund s service voluntarily as he was militia or was it part of normal military service

Thanks again both of you for your help

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.409 seconds