• Page:

TOPIC:

Harry Evans Worthing 9 years 5 months ago #23591

• jamieworthing
  • jamieworthing's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
After my family has decided to spend the last 5 years dedicating our spare time finding out as much as we can about our Family History we have done some research into Harry Evans Worthing who was born in 1870 and joined the Rifle Brigade in 1888. He served as Company Sergeant-Major in the Mounted Infantry Company in Rhodesia 1896-97. In the Boer War he again served in the Mounted Infantry and was twice wounded - at Stinkhoutboom 24 June 1900 and at Nooitgedacht 13 December 1900. He was twice mentioned in despatches and was awarded the Bar to his D.C.M. for gallantry during the Guerilla War. He was appointed Regimental Sergeant-Major of the 5th Battalion Rifle Brigade in 1906 and Quarter Master in 1912. During the Great War he served in France, the Balkans, Salonika and Russia, being mentioned in despatches four times and attaining the rank of Major. He was awarded the O.B.E. in 1924.

These Medal's mean EVERYTHING to our family! And would really deeply request some information as to where they may be now,and any information/photos anything to do with him.

I am aware the medals was last known to be Auctioned off at DNW auctions at the link below.

www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/special-co..._id=231&lot_id=46856

This is something we care very deeply about and would really appreciate any support you can give to us.

Kindest Regards,
Jamie Worthing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Harry Evans Worthing 9 years 5 months ago #23600

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Jamie
I take it you asked DNW if they would send the buyer a note to make him aware of this matter?
I think it's always sad when family medals are sold, but so many these days just don't care at all, notwithstanding, I don't think that was the case a couple of generations ago, although, medals were still pawned for whatever reason and of course stolen too.
Do know how did they ended up on the market in the first place?
Welcome here, regards Frank Kelley

Harry Evans Worthing 9 years 5 months ago #23601

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246

Harry Evans Worthing 9 years 5 months ago #23602

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246
Hi Jamie

Harry's medals are a really special group. The DNW link shows his miniature medals only but states that the full size (named) group was sold at Buckland Dix & Wood in 1995 and again in Spink's Boer War centenary sale in 1999. BDW was a forerunner of DNW. I have a copy of Spink's catalogue for that sale and the estimate was £5,000-£7,000. Unfortunately I haven't got details of the price realised but as auction houses generally underestimate prices it would probably have hammered higher.

If the group came on the market today it would fetch considerably more again. Dated bars on DCMs are very rare and only 20 men received them. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that if the group came to auction today it would hammer at £12,000-£15,000.

Spink's catalogue entry is reproduced below.

Regards

David
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, jamieworthing

Harry Evans Worthing 9 years 5 months ago #23608

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879

davidh wrote: Hi Jamie

I have a copy of Spink's catalogue for that sale and the estimate was £5,000-£7,000. Unfortunately I haven't got details of the price realised but as auction houses generally underestimate prices it would probably have hammered higher.

Regards

David

The actual sale price was 6000 Pounds plus fees etc......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, jamieworthing

Harry Evans Worthing 4 years 2 weeks ago #68606

• jamieworthing
  • jamieworthing's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you all so very much!

I would love to find the location of the medals now and maybe photograph of the great man himself!

Would anyone have any advice?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.781 seconds