TOPIC:

Introduction 9 years 3 months ago #24815

• gmfb
  • gmfb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Everybody,

I have been visiting this fascinating site on a daily basis for months. Time now to make an introduction. I live in the UK and have been collecting medals, some British, some foreign since childhood. I've reached a crossroads perhaps and thought that you might be best placed to give the advice I need. My QSA collection now contains all 26 clasps (including a lovely DofM to the Bechuanaland Rifles), a QSA with raised dates, some interesting bronze medals and so on. Where do I go from here? I have no affiliation to units or regiments, Should I leave QSAs aside for awhile or can anyone inspire me afresh? What would you do if you were me?

Regards to all

Geoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: coldstream

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduction 9 years 3 months ago #24816

• azyeoman
  • Thank you received: 308
Congratulations! Raised dates! Wow, how fortunate you are. How about gallantry or PoWs? How about KIAs or colonial units: New Zealand, Australia and Canada? The scope is vast and if you've got a raised date, then you've already got a Canadian one... ; ) Maybe QSAs to the naval units or ships. I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever you decide on. How long did it take you to obtain all the clasps and variations? Of course all of the above is if you want to stay with the Boer War. You could also branch out and get QSAs and KSAs to recipients who were in other campaigns in Africa or elsewhere. There are some nice multi campaign groups for S. Africa and for other places; i.e., Egypt. Good luck and keep us posted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gmfb

Introduction 9 years 3 months ago #24817

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883

gmfb wrote: Hi Everybody,

a QSA with raised dates, Should I leave QSAs aside for awhile or can anyone inspire me afresh? What would you do if you were me?

Regards to all

Geoff

Good Morning Geoff......

A Raised Date...... Do you mind telling me what one it is as I am trying to keep track of all of them..... I now have 54 known..... I have been collecting QSA's for over 40 years now and never have tired of them..... Trying to get one medal from every unit that ever served, never will be able to do it though..... With a side specialty of Canadian Medals and medals to The Canadian Scouts......

If you do not wish to name your man can you PM me please.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Introduction 9 years 3 months ago #24818

• gmfb
  • gmfb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
The scope is vast indeed! That's the fun of it and the flippin' problem! I just can't pin myself down to a theme. I like the idea of a broad and representative collection so I do already have nice examples of some of the things you mention in your helpful response - it is already helping to clarify my thinking in fact. There are some really glaring omissions too that I think I need to address - for instance, I still don't have a DCM group though I must have looked at dozens. As a child my dream was to own an Air Crew Europe Star but just couldn't afford a fiver! Serious collecting happened only in the last fifteen years when I found I had a bit of disposable income. I started out collecting pairs containing a QSA so I like the thread that deals with QSAs in unusual combinations. I don't just collect QSAs (though I love them) and I do try not to neglect my other interests. It's a bit of a juggling act keeping various collections moving.

Geoff

Introduction 9 years 3 months ago #24823

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Geoff

You are indeed spoilt for choice! Since you already have an excellent base with QSA's, perhaps you should keep that medal as an anchor to multi-campaign groups, or with added gallantry and other decorations. Your liking for the thread on 'QSA's in unusual combinations' suggests that you would find that a satisfying direction to follow, at least until something else takes your fancy.

Regards
Brett

Introduction 9 years 3 months ago #24824

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Geoff,

And a warm welcome to the forum.
I echo the replies you have received about the quality of your collection.
The "unusual combinations" route I think could make an interesting theme.
Good luck with your future purchases.

Cheers
Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds