Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

East Lancashire regiment 9 years 2 months ago #25315

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I meant just that and really nothing more, it would be most unusual but not impossible.
You did not have to show your birth certificate and you could join an infantry regiment within 24 hours, not the year or so, that it takes these days.
Boys could and did join the Army, indeed, Meurig mentions one, but, there are two points to note in that particular case, his rank and his corps, he could have joined as a fourteen year old without the need to have lied about his age, so not unusual whatsoever, but, a great shame, although, I am sure he knew exactly what he was doing when he joined, times were very hard for a great many people.
I suppose the real difference back then when compared with today, was that, there is rather less poverty today, a boy could have joined back then and received so many things that he might not have otherwise had, food, clothing and a bed, all spring to mind, for example.
However, you are talking about a county infantry regiment, very different indeed.
A certain number of boys could join them, but, they tended to be musicians of one sort or another, tailors and shoe/boot makers and so on, they were, in effect, serving apprenticeships, but, you are talking about a Private.
To be serving in South Africa in 1900 with the regiment concerned and with the rank of Private, it is not unreasonable to expect that he would have enlisted in 1899, most fifteen year olds would stand out, in particular if you came from the part of the country you are talking about here, most would simply not cut the mustard to even enlist let alone be able to handle the actual fatigue of duty on the veldt.
You know, the date is the thing here, we are not talking about 1916, the War Office did need recruits, however, it struggled to get them from the adult populace let alone children, things were different by 1916, if you wanted to enlist then as an adult, but, you were merely a boy, you got told to " have a walk around and when you return state your correct birthday.
Yes, I am quite sure about Y Company 11th East Lancashire, so if you believe he served with them, you have come to the wrong forum!

Barlow wrote: Thank you for your reply it is very interesting.

When you say most unusual for a fifteen year old to be in the infantry, are you able to elaborate. do you mean so unusual as to be virtually impossible?

I have no idea about what checks were made about age when men enlisted - are you able to comment?

very interested in your comment also :

"I would also say that Y Company of the 11th Battalion East Lancashire Regiment did not even exist in 1899."

If you are absolutely sure of this - that could save me a lot of time wasted.

I would just say that at this stage I am certain of nothing - but have trying to reach certain reasonable conclusions based on the information available to me so far.

I think the injury details are likely to be true from what I know of his later life.

Thank you again for your help so far.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Barlow

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

East Lancashire regiment 9 years 2 months ago #25320

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2307
'Red Roses on the Veldt' has 6369 Private J. Robinson, of the ELR, as having been "severely wounded" at Modderfontein, on 28th August 1900.

East Lancashire regiment 9 years 2 months ago #25343

• Barlow
  • Barlow's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you I am currently trying to get hold of a copy of that book from my local library.
Phill Barlow, private researcher, Chorley,Lancashire

East Lancashire regiment 9 years 2 months ago #25344

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
WO100/184 also clearly shows this mans initial as J and not R.

BereniceUK wrote: 'Red Roses on the Veldt' has 6369 Private J. Robinson, of the ELR, as having been "severely wounded" at Modderfontein, on 28th August 1900.

East Lancashire regiment 9 years 2 months ago #25345

• Barlow
  • Barlow's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes I noticed that, I wonder at what stage the error was made - clearly one must be wrong
Phill Barlow, private researcher, Chorley,Lancashire

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.545 seconds