Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Attestation at Port Elizabeth? Why? and other matters 8 years 7 months ago #42987

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Yes, I can see he was in the Imperial Light Horse, but, what has the South African Constabulary got to do with the SAMIF? I'm still confused!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Attestation at Port Elizabeth? Why? and other matters 8 years 7 months ago #42988

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The "safe return" bit certainly suggests to me that the reverse is true, again, not so unusual really.

mrsgumosh wrote: that was my thought too - my cousin has a bible given to him by his mother before he left which says

" To Charles H Parkin from his Mother AE Parkin. With love and best wishes for a prosperous journey and a safe return from S. Africa. 'May God Bless you until we meet again'."

So it sounds as if he wasn't going there forever, however, to wish your son a prosperous journey if you think he is going off to fight seems a tad odd to me?

Attestation at Port Elizabeth? Why? and other matters 8 years 7 months ago #42989

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881

SWB wrote: Hello

It would seem unlikely he sailed to SA with the express purpose of enlisting. At this time the South African Constabulary were recruiting in Canada, so he could have joined them and got there for free.

Regards
Meurig

Just in case I checked the SAC and Canadian Scouts roll to see if he was on any list that's all......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrsgumosh

Attestation at Port Elizabeth? Why? and other matters 8 years 7 months ago #42993

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
To me this sounds as though he didn't go to SA to fight but to find his fortune.

mrsgumosh wrote: that was my thought too - my cousin has a bible given to him by his mother before he left which says

" To Charles H Parkin from his Mother AE Parkin. With love and best wishes for a prosperous journey and a safe return from S. Africa. 'May God Bless you until we meet again'."

So it sounds as if he wasn't going there forever, however, to wish your son a prosperous journey if you think he is going off to fight seems a tad odd to me?

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.514 seconds