• Page:

TOPIC:

Introduction 5 years 4 months ago #61105

• Debmdebm
  • Debmdebm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi my name is Debbie, my great grandfather was in the Boar war (so I believe). I have a marriage certificate and picture of his marriage from May 1897 in Leeds.
The family story is that he was in the Boar war and in the Dragoons, but I am trying to track down more information.
From the picture I have researched that he was in the regiment for 2 years and in the 2nd. His name was George Taylor.
Can anyone help with more information where he was posted

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduction 5 years 4 months ago #61106

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Debbie
Welcome to the Forum. Just now, I had a quick look through my invaluable CD of the names and units of men who served in the Cavalry during the South African campaign. As you might expect, there are plenty of men named "G.Taylor". I see that you say your GGF "was in the regiment for two years and in the 2nd". What do you understand about the words "in the 2nd"? Do you mean the Second Dragoon Guards? If so, that might make things a bit easier.
Regards
IL.

Introduction 5 years 4 months ago #61110

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Welcome to the forum Debbie..... To add a little to Linney's reply when you go to FMP there are 138 G. Taylors listed...…

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Introduction 5 years 4 months ago #61115

• Debmdebm
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
IL and Mike
Many thanks for your fast response.
GGF full name was Gerorge James Taylor
On the picture of him his left arm has a fancy braiding which has 2 loops at the to and the bottom on the cuff which I understand is the second Dragoons (I might be wrong)
He then has 2 white “v” shapes above that - in the brigade for 2 years?

I could down load the picture but haven’t worked out how to do that yet

Thanks Mike I’ll have a look
And then above that what looks like cross swords

Introduction 5 years 4 months ago #61116

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Debbie
I have very limited knowledge of Victorian era cavalry badges and distinctions - so that aspect may be answered by someone more familiar with them. The two "white V shapes" sound like Good Conduct badges. I had another look at my Cavalry CD and - assuming your GGF did indeed serve with the Second Dragoons, then the listing shows one "4200 Pte. G.Taylor" serving with the 2Dgns; earning the clasps Cape Colony/Orange Free State/Transvaal/South Africa 1901 on his QSA medal. There is a marginal note indication that he was "invalided".I can see no other "G.Taylors" listed for 2Dgns. There are, however, plenty of men named "G.Taylor" who served in 5th Dragoon Guards, etc.
Now comes the cautionary bit. This site fields many such inquiries as yours; sometimes one or other of our regulars can help- and quite often the reverse. My suggestion is that you try one of the commercial sites (in which I have no personal association) and check for personal papers for "4200 Pte. G.Taylor 2nd Dragoons". Hopefully, personal (enlistment/discharge) papers my exist. If so I would suggest you compare the content of any papers with what you already know - and see what eventuates.
I hope we have been of assistance
Regards
IL.

Introduction 5 years 4 months ago #61122

• Debmdebm
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I have attached my picture of my GGF to my profile.
From what I understand the white cuffs are the 2nd Dragoons
The 2 upward facing chevrons are 6 years service
I don’t have his date of birth but looking at the 1911 census he was born 1872 (give or take a year) in Islington, Middlesex. On the 1891 census he was 18 living at home born 1873 working as a warehouse porter.
My further research has lead me to service numbers :-
4689 ( discharged as incorrigible) on FMP it states 1st (kings) dragoon Guards
3901 (sergeant).

Any more help would be greatly received
Debbie

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.429 seconds