• Page:

TOPIC:

Hello 5 years 4 months ago #61423

• mde
  • mde's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm interested in this forum because of several family members who served in the Boer War. My mother's grandfather signed up to the 8th Hussars in 1900. He also served in the Great War and I have his sign-up papers and full service history. On the other side of the family a great-uncle joined the Connaught Rangers for a 21 year term and served first in South Africa and later many other places including Mesopotamia in the Great War.

In particular, I have some research to do regarding other family members. My mother recently gave me a number of documents and papers that had been given to her by an aunt. One of these is a silver leaves card. It says "To my dear sister" and is addressed on the back "Sarah". This suggests that the sister in law of the Connaught Rangers man had a brother who also fought in South Africa. She had two brothers, James Cardiff (born 1878, Dublin) and John Cardiff (born 1886, Dublin). My grandmother had a photo of a man in a sailors uniform and said it was the brother Jack so presumably the younger one was not in the army, although I haven't found any documents proving he was in the navy either. I can't find any service records for either a James or John Cardiff. John married very late - in 1921 - suggesting he could have signed up for a twenty one year service. I haven't been able to find trace of the eldest brother James, although it is known in the family what happened to all other siblings and their descendants were known to my grandmother.

What would be the systematic way to work through the records to try and prove James of John (let's presume my grandmother could have made a mistaken identification) served in the Boer War? I did a google search and amazingly can't seem to find whether the QSA and KSA medal rolls are online or not. Forces War Records seems to give the impression they have them but it is not clear. I checked FMP's "Anglo-Boer War records 1899-1902" without success. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello 5 years 4 months ago #61427

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Welcome to the forum, mde.

The QSA and KSA rolls are online and can be downloaded from the National Archives for free.

I had a look at the index and there seems to be only a few men named Cardiff in the Boer War, in the Army:

R H W Cardiff 4th Battalion Durham Light Infantry
P Cardiff British South Africa Police
T Cardiff 1st Battalion East Lancashire
T Cardiff British South Africa Police

Is J Cardiff listed on the 1901 census?

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: mde

Hello 5 years 4 months ago #61428

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
There is a list of all the Navy recipients of the QSA/KSA on this site. There are no men called Cardiff.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: mde

Hello 5 years 4 months ago #61440

• mde
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Gosh! The National Archives putting things up for free rather than getting us to stump up cash to American genealogy multinationals. Never would have expected it. Can't understand why it doesn't come up in Google search directly although the results do seem hugely directed towards these companies.

Thanks, David for looking. Can you give me a direct link so I can have a look myself too? I still can't seem to find the QSA and KSA medal rolls. I found an old National Archives Boer War webpage which seems quite detailed but which is archived and the links no longer function on it:
webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/htt...War_(Boer)_1899-1902

Then I found a new one which is very brief and says nothing is online:
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-yo...es/boer-war-records/

I have found a more useful one on pre-1913 soldiers which I am working my way through but regarding medal rolls it just links through to Ancestry!:
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-yo...soldiers-up-to-1913/

Hello 5 years 4 months ago #61444

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
mde,

This page should help: angloboerwar.com/forum/11-research/28294...a-step-by-step-guide

Good luck!
David
Dr David Biggins

Hello 5 years 4 months ago #61446

• mde
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
David, it was a good point about the census. I had forgotten what I already knew. Both James and John were still at home in 1901:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003702643/

James was working on the railway and had a reasonably good job which would lead to that of a engine driver so would be very unlikely to give it up in order to sign up. Which leaves me completely baffled. I have a card which has "Sarah" written on it and the leaves have "To my sister" printed on them. Sarah is in the census too and it is her eldest daughter that my mother got the card from so there is no question about its provenance.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.513 seconds