Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New member, happy to be here! 5 years 2 months ago #62061

• jan808
  • jan808's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 13
Very pleased to be part of this community - I have been interested in this period of history since reading "Queen Victoria's Little Wars" by Byron Farwell over 30 years ago, though only started collecting QSAs in the last few years (and based on a very recent eBay purchase), with a growing sense of ignorance on my behalf. Anyway, I know I am in the right place to learn!
Jan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New member, happy to be here! 5 years 2 months ago #62062

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1527
Jan
Welcome to the Forum. Please feel free to put questions on the Forum. Do you have a particular line of interest in QSAs - or just general?
Regards
IL.

New member, happy to be here! 5 years 2 months ago #62063

• jan808
  • jan808's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 13
Thanks for the welcome.
I think I am starting to realise that there is a huge amount to learn about the Anglo-Boers War (which makes for an interesting hobby), but that I don't have much of a clue how to research medals.
For example I have a QSA to 3044 DMR. J Brown, Royal Lanc Regt, but can't find any record of this soldier. Hopefully I am just looking in the wrong place, Once I have a better idea on how to do this, then probably it will also be easier to decide (with advise & inspiration from these boards) on a particular focus for building a modest collection.
- Ideas/suggestions/help very welcome on all of the above.
Many thanks,
Jan

New member, happy to be here! 5 years 2 months ago #62068

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2294
Welcome, Jan. I think it's great that we can all learn from each other here.

New member, happy to be here! 4 years 6 months ago #65764

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Joseph Brown certainly had an interesting time having joined the Lancaster's in 1890 as a fourteen year old boy, he had considerable Foreign Service, including Campaign Service, in South Africa, initially as a Drummer in the 3rd Battalion, from the 12th of February 1900 until the 12th of January 1902, as well as two periods with the BEF during the Great War, overall a total of some twenty eight years, being discharged in 1919, his papers remain extant in WO363.

jan808 wrote: Thanks for the welcome.
I think I am starting to realise that there is a huge amount to learn about the Anglo-Boers War (which makes for an interesting hobby), but that I don't have much of a clue how to research medals.
For example I have a QSA to 3044 DMR. J Brown, Royal Lanc Regt, but can't find any record of this soldier. Hopefully I am just looking in the wrong place, Once I have a better idea on how to do this, then probably it will also be easier to decide (with advise & inspiration from these boards) on a particular focus for building a modest collection.
- Ideas/suggestions/help very welcome on all of the above.
Many thanks,
Jan

The following user(s) said Thank You: jan808

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.374 seconds