Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Britannia Fair March 17th 2019 5 years 1 month ago #62749

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879

Frank Kelley wrote: I'm still undecided, have any forum members been able to find anything good for their collections in recent years at this fair, I certainly have not, I hate returning emptyhanded after what always seems an ever increasing outlay.

Know what you mean Frank going looking on a tip but last night I got a call from a friend who was at an estate sale yesterday and told me that there were some lead soldiers there as he knew I liked them..... Some lead soldiers..... I just spent over $700 (nearly 60 boxes) on a brand new boxed, un-opened collection of Britain's..... At last found something......

You have to give it a try.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Britannia Fair March 17th 2019 5 years 1 month ago #62750

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
I do like to "give it a try" but, it cost's an awful amount of money these days, the capital is expensive, I just feel most aggrieved to return home with bugger all.
What are you going to do with all those soldiers, at least they will be proper (old) examples, actually made in Britain, quite a lot to ask these days, sadly!
Regards Frank

Britannia Fair March 17th 2019 5 years 1 month ago #62764

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
I haven't but I know others who have. It can be a good opportunity to re-acquaint with old friends in the room and on the dealers' tables!
Dr David Biggins

Britannia Fair March 17th 2019 5 years 1 month ago #62808

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
A very good fair today with good attendance and a great opportunity to catch up with Meurig and Ian.

Some pictures to follow.
Dr David Biggins

Britannia Fair March 17th 2019 5 years 1 month ago #62814

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The pair to Captain F Whitworth-Jones on offer at Baldwin's.

Picture courtesy of Baldwin's

We last saw this pair in 2014 when they were sold by Dreweatts.

QSA (1) CC (Capt: F. W. Jones. S.A.M.I.F.), KSA (2) (Capt: W. F. [sic] Jones. S.A.M.I.F.). Officially impressed.

Frederick Whitworth Jones was born on the 9th of October 1867, the first son of Henry Whitworth-Jones, a notable Opera Singer (1817-1891) and contemporary of Charles Dickens. He attended Radley College, and was commissioned as Second Lieutenant in the 4th Battalion King’s Shropshire Light Infantry on the 28th of January 1888, but having reached Lieutenant, he then transferred to the King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry again as Second Lieutenant on the 21st December, 1889.

By the time of the Boer War he was serving with the South African Mounted Irregular Force, and is reported as having been involved with the railways there. His regular address is mentioned in the London Gazette as also being at Brook House, Pulham St Mary Diss, Norfolk, noted in respect to the death of his mother Maria Whitworth Jones at this residence, in July 1905. He died on the 27th of June, 1935, at The Hatch, Seend, Wiltshire.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Britannia Fair March 17th 2019 5 years 1 month ago #62815

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The silver QSA to Duffadar Sher Mohh Khan, 9th Bengal Lancers

Picture courtesy of Baldwin's

The IGS behind is a separate item.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.506 seconds