Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

i am trying to find information about my great grandfather william barrell 5 years 3 weeks ago #63055

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Well, from memory, he did state in 1914, that he had served for almost twelve years in the RGA, being discharged in 1898, there was no Military Service Act until 1916, so after discharge for that length of service, he would certainly not have been recalled as a reservist for the Anglo Boer War, it was not, in 1899, the "national emergency" that some members of the press actually claimed it to be.
I think I did have a brief look at the rolls in WO100, the other day and did not see him for the RGA, so without taking matters further, I would suggest he did not serve during that particular campaign.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

i am trying to find information about my great grandfather william barrell 4 years 11 months ago #63818

• annieb
  • annieb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
we have since learned that william barrell enlisted in the south wales borderers in 1884 aged 18. his number then was swb/1157. did he serve in south africa at all?.by 1899 he was engine driver at brickworks in herefordshire

i am trying to find information about my great grandfather william barrell 4 years 11 months ago #63822

• Frank Kelley
So I assume you are suggesting that the man in your original post is not your great grandfather, because this particular William Barrell that you now mention, was actually a reservist who did serve in South Africa during the war, are you saying that he was your great grandather?

annieb wrote: we have since learned that william barrell enlisted in the south wales borderers in 1884 aged 18. his number then was swb/1157. did he serve in south africa at all?.by 1899 he was engine driver at brickworks in herefordshire

i am trying to find information about my great grandfather william barrell 4 years 11 months ago #63831

• annieb
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
i got this iinformation about the south wales borderers from ancestry. they give correct parents,place and dob so this is undoubtably my g g grandfather but we always thought he was in royal field artillery. also he was working in cusop brickworks nr hay-on-wye when the second boer war was on and his eldest son also william was born in 1902. the period 1884 to 1898 is difficult to find.

i am trying to find information about my great grandfather william barrell 4 years 11 months ago #63835

• Frank Kelley
Sorry, I'm not sure what you are saying here, was your great grand father employed, actually working at a brickworks, during the Anglo Boer War?

annieb wrote: i got this iinformation about the south wales borderers from ancestry. they give correct parents,place and dob so this is undoubtably my g g grandfather but we always thought he was in royal field artillery. also he was working in cusop brickworks nr hay-on-wye when the second boer war was on and his eldest son also william was born in 1902. the period 1884 to 1898 is difficult to find.

i am trying to find information about my great grandfather william barrell 4 years 11 months ago #63857

• annieb
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
i will recheck with ancestry , but almost certain this is correct. the ancestry page with his info brings you to a page i am having difficulty getting into bt it is certainly him. by the way he was married three times

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds