TOPIC:

New member 3 years 6 months ago #72272

• Chris Davidson
  • Chris Davidson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes, different James Milne:

The Scottish journalist, novelist, and editor James Milne was born in Strathdon, Aberdeenshire, on 25 September 1865, and grew up in Aboyne. He was educated locally in Strathdon and Aboyne and attended classes at Edinburgh University. After serving on the staff of newspapers in Aberdeen and Edinburgh, he went to Fleet Street becoming the Literary Editor of the Daily Chronicle, 1904-1918. Milne was the editor and founder of Book monthly in 1903. He contributed to the Daily telegraph, Scotsman, and Cornhill magazine, mainly on literary subjects. He used the pseudonyms Eliot Buckram and Elijah True. His publications include The Gordon Highlanders, My summer in London, The road to Kashmir, and Printer's devil: or how books happen. James Milne died on 19 March 1951.[

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New member - researching J Milne, Reuters correspondent 3 years 6 months ago #72326

• Chris Davidson
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Newspaper archive shows that J Milne, Reuters correspondent, was captured at Christiana, Transvaal in May 1900 and later released:

www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search...ycounts=false&page=3

The search for the link to my Aberdeen Milne family continues.

Chris Davidson

New member 8 months 20 hours ago #91799

• Transvaal_Ranger
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
A bit late to the party but stumbled across it searching for some info on a Kaffrarian Rifles pair I'm listing.

The recipient I'm selling was also a Scot (Geddie) from near Aberdeen and was listed in the London Evening Standard of 24 April 1900 as on his way to Pretoria in the company of Mr Milne of Reuters along with some others:
www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search...20evening%20standard

Regards,

Neil

J Milne 6 months 2 weeks ago #92402

• Chris Davidson
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for that link. My search continues as to what happened to James Milne after the Boer War.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.386 seconds