Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

BOER WAR MEMORIALS OF WALES 1 year 4 months ago #87643

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 846
There does not appear to be a Boer War Memorial in Abertillery but there was a tribute article to Mordecai in the South Wales Gazette of 1st December 1899.

His regimental number was 5785 and like Mortimer his QSA bore a single clasp, "Belmont". The 1891 census shows his father died before he enlisted and the Register of Soldier's Effects indicates his mother also died before he enlisted as Mordecai gave his half brother William as his NoK and legatee. His mother was 12 years older than his father and was on her third marriage when Mordecai arrived in 1874. This meant Mordecai was brought up with three half brothers and a half sister.

Abertillery does have a WW1 & WW2 memorial and an even more recent one commemorating the 45 men who were killed by an underground explosion at the Six Bells Colliery on 28th June 1960. Designed and created by artist Sebastien Boyesen, who is based in West Wales, the sculpture is constructed from over 20,000 strips of Cor-Ten steel welded together to create a stunning monument that stands proudly on a sandstone plinth. The detail that has been created using this remarkable technique allows for the incredible facial features, muscle definition and hair to be clearly visible; and even the trousers appear soft and flowing even though fabricated from steel. It was unveiled in 2010 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the tragedy and dramatically overlooks the small town.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

BOER WAR MEMORIALS OF WALES 1 year 4 months ago #87645

• Smethwick
There does not appear to be a Boer War Memorial in Penarth.

Thomas Griffith's death at the Battle of Belmont is also listed in a Cardiff paper but his name is given as Thomas Griffiths. He is also listed as Griffiths on the 3rd GG Medal Roll with regimental number 3135 and just the Belmont clasp attached to his QSA.

BOER WAR MEMORIALS OF WALES 1 year 4 months ago #87646

• Moranthorse1
  • Moranthorse1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 781
I guess that the written word must be taken as the
only local memorial to Mordecai Watkins. Many thanks for searching and posting this press cutting.

I am particularly interested in casualties of the battles of Belmont and Modder River and the involvement of 3rd Battalion Grenadier Guards therein. I have another ongoing research project for which I have a KIA Belmont to a man of 3GG , to an Englishman.....but that is another story!

Very impressive miner's memorial, I must take a look at that some day.

Cheers Steve

BOER WAR MEMORIALS OF WALES 1 year 4 months ago #87647

• Smethwick
Steve - afraid my two Smethwickians who served in the GG were in the 1st & 2nd Battalions and so had no involvement with the Battle of Belmont but you have reminded me I need to check them out on the 1921 Census as they lived to 1948 & 1955. Regards, David. PS have made a slight correction to Mordecai's write up since you read it - his medal went to his half-brother rather than his mother.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

BOER WAR MEMORIALS OF WALES 1 year 4 months ago #87796

• Moranthorse1
BLAENAVON WORKMEN'S HALL,
97 HIGH STREET,
BLAENAVON,
PONTYPOOL,
NP4 9PT.

Reported in the South Wales Argus, dated 22nd May 2019:

"Plans for a new plaque to commemorate two soldier from Blaenavon who were killed in action during the Boer War has been outlined.
The Blaenavon branch of the Royal British Legion have applied for listed building consent for a new plaque to be added to the war memorial clock tower outside Blaenavon Workmen's Hall.
The plaque would be inscribed in memory of Lance Corporal James Attwell of the 1st Suffolk Regiment, who died age 28 in Rensburg, South Africa on January 10th, 1900.
And in memory of Bombardier D. E. Cooke, of the Royal Artillery, who died at the Modder River, South Africa on February 18th, 1900 during the conflict.
The plaque would be added to the right (east) of the Grade 2 listed monument."

Sometime soon after this announcement, the brass plaque was installed as described above.

View of memorial clock tower outside the Blaenavon Workmen's Hall.

Brass plaque installed to the east side of the memorial.

Brass plaque commemorating Attwell and Cooke.

The inscription on the plaque as follows:

"IN MEMORY OF THOSE KILLED IN ACTION IN
THE BOER WAR (1899-1902

LANCE CORPORAL JAMES ATTWELL
1ST BATTALION SUFFOLK REGIMENT AGE 28
RENSBURG, SOUTH AFRICA JANUARY 10TH, 1900.

BOMBARDIER D. E. COOKE, ROYAL ARTILLERY AGE UNKNOWN
MODDER RIVER, SOUTH AFRICA FEBRUARY 18TH, 1900."

Biographical details

3369 Lance Corporal James M. Attwell was killed on 6th January 1900 (Watt 2000) at Grassy Hill, during the actions around Colesberg, often quoted as Rensburg.
He was interred at the Colesberg Military Cemetery and commemorated on monument 90.
He is also remembered on the Welsh National South Africa memorial at Cathays Park, Cardiff; Cornhill Statue, Bury St. Edmonds; Christchurch Park Statue, Ipswich aswell as here in Blaenavon.
Medal Roll WO100/174 confirms James Attwell's entitlement to the Queen's South Africa medal with the single clasp CAPE COLONY.

20398 Acting Bombardier D. E. Cooke was serving with the 81st Battery, Royal Field Artillery when he was killed in action at Klipdrift on February 18th 1900. He is Interred at Jacobsdaal, where he is commemorated on monument U1U2.
Medal Roll WO100/143 confirms his entitlement to the Queen's South Africa medal with the single clasp RELIEF IF KIMBERLEY.

Unfortunately the memorial is within a fenced garden of remembrance which is locked, therefore you are unable to read the plaque itself. I used a pair of binoculars to enable me to read the inscription!
Parking is reasonably easy in the street at the side of the Workmen's Hall.
Attachments:

BOER WAR MEMORIALS OF WALES 1 year 4 months ago #87893

• Moranthorse1
FRONCYSYLLTE MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN,
MAIN STREET,
HOLYHEAD ROAD,
FRONCYSYLLTE,
WREXHAM,
CLWYD,
CH7 1 LH,
WALES.

ORDNANCE SURVEY GRID REFERENCE: SJ2416164241

Boer War memorial central panel of the fountain with plaques in memory of the fallen of World War One and Two to the left and right flanking walls.

"PARCHER Y DEWR" Parcher of the brave

Inscription thus:
"ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION 1909
IN MEMORY OF
PRIVATE WILLIAM WILLIAMS 3RD BATTALION ROYAL WELSH FUSILIERS
KILLED IN ACTION AT THE BATTLE OF FREDERIKSTAD
OCTOBER 25TH 1900
AND OF PRIVATE JOHN CHARLES JAMES
2ND BATTALION GRENADIER GUARDS
DIED OF ENTERIC AT THABA NCHU NEAR
BLOEMFONTEIN MAY 19TH 1900."

The memorial was previously located at :
SOUTH SIDE OF A5,
FRONCYSYLLTE,
GLYNDER,
CLWYD,
LL20 7RB,
WALES.

ORDNANCE SURVEY GRID REFERENCE: SJ2724141191

Visitors will find easy parking along the main road.
Unfortunately, the fountain no longer works!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.954 seconds