Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Looking for info about a soldier named George Cotton b. 1868 6 months 6 days ago #94343

• B Possum
  • B Possum's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi again David

I’m not certain, unfortunately. I’m testing a hypothesis based on DNA matches. I know I match that family, and one of those brothers was almost certainly in CT in about Nov 1903, but how or why he got there is a guess. To me the Boer War seemed likely, but so far I haven’t found that link. DNA is saying George is a 72% likelihood to be my guy, and one of his brothers is a likelihood of 5% or 11% depending who I pick. I need more data.

I can’t see George’s son’s military service on Ancestry. Did you find that for Bertie Alfred Cotton b. Q3 1898?

Your attached Census is correct. I also do have the 1921 Census as I paid separately for it on FMP (I don’t have a subscription there). I believe they hold sole rights to the 1921 Census.

Regards Bonny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Looking for info about a soldier named George Cotton b. 1868 6 months 6 days ago #94344

• B Possum
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello again David.

I found that military record and now I remember why I didn’t add it. I think Alfred Herbert ‘Bertie’ Cotton b. 30.07.1898 in Newington with mother Ada Grey (I ordered his birth cert. from the GRO) is not the same Alfred Cotton residing at 3 Hurlbutt Pl, with father George Cotton. Because Hurlbutt Pl. Alfred’s d.o.b. was 20.02.1898 as per his Short Service Attestation! Confusing.

Looking for info about a soldier named George Cotton b. 1868 6 months 6 days ago #94347

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 930
Bonny - I think you need to look at the Hurlbutt Place record again - see extract below and you can see the address given for his father is the same one as on the 1921 Census, i.e. 45 Dante Road. David.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: B Possum

Looking for info about a soldier named George Cotton b. 1868 6 months 6 days ago #94353

• B Possum
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
David oh my goodness!! I didn’t see that 1st page at all. I suspect I only received the actual Census page in my order. You are correct, thank you for persevering!

That’s excellent info and it’s kind of you to attach that page.

I now need to double-check those birth dates as one (probably mine) is wrong. Maybe that was a baptism date as it’s about 5 months later.

BTW last night I worked on the other brothers. With a LOT of digging I uncovered the 1907 death of Edward in Egypt at age 30. He had been an acrobat and succumbed to an operation he had after an injury. So far I place him in England, Australia, California, Egypt, and a Newspaper article about his death says he also travelled to Africa. He didn’t have children with his wife so there is nobody to compare DNA with…

How about that? I’m still trawling through the other brothers in any war records! No hits yet.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.340 seconds