TOPIC:

Hello - 2 weeks 17 hours ago #96956

• adamsirius
  • adamsirius's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Unfortunately I have very little information on great-grandfather; John Henry; born 6/7/1878 Clonmellon in Co Meath; was apparently a Sergeant in the Boer War; was wondering how to best try locate his military records if possible
Thanks in advance for any assistance . Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello - 23 hours 38 minutes ago #97070

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1231
Hello Andrew
Welcome to the forum.
Apologies for delay in a response, I have been away and I am catching up on the recent forum posts.

A quick question for you, was your G Grandfather married to a lady called Annie?. Also, was his mother called Mary? If so, there is a chance your Great Grandfather served with the 1st Battalion Leinster Regiment. Please let me know if I am on the right track or I am way off the mark.

Best wishes

Dave.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: adamsirius

Hello - 22 hours 57 minutes ago #97071

• adamsirius
  • Away
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi thanks for the reply - yes that's him, married Annie Cran 1/1/1906 - have only found out a little more out about John since no one in my grandmother [his eldest daughter Lilian] side of the family ever really talked of him. Any information you have would be welcome.
Thanks
Andrew
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Hello - 16 hours 47 minutes ago #97080

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1231
Hi Andrew

With reference to your Great Grandfather John Henry. Here are a few details for you regarding his service during the Anglo Boer War.

4804 - Corporal, John Henry. 1st Battalion Leinster Regiment.

He was 19 years of age when he joined the Prince of Wales Leinster Regiment ( Royal Canadians ) during his earlier teenage years he also served in the Leinster Militia Battalion. He attested to the colours in July 1896. He was of dark complexion, dark hair and grey eyes. He stood at 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighed in at approximately 126 pounds. A labourer by trade and a Roman Catholic. Before he went to South Africa, he was stationed in Canada from 1898 until April 1900. He then went to South Africa during the same year 1900. He had 2 tours of South Africa, one lasting 331 days and he then returned from England again in 1901 and served approximately 400 days. I couldn't find any reason for his earlier return, for example, wounding or sickness. However he may have been shipped home for the above, not all soldiers were recorded with an explanation on the reason why they were returned. His medal roll entitlement records a Queens South Africa medal with clasps for Wittebergen, Cape Colony and Transvaal. He was also awarded a Kings South Africa medal with 1901 and 1902 date clasps. During his time in South Africa he was recorded as being a Corporal. It may have been possible he was promoted to Sergeant later on with his regiment. He served 12 years.

The details above were taken from a 4 part attestation document courtesy of Ancestry UK. Your Great Grandfather's medal rolls are also available from the same source.

I wish you well in your future research.

Best wishes

Dave.

PS. link attached , pertaining to your Great Grandfathers regiment. Courtesy of ABW .com website.
www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/569-leinster-regiment
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: adamsirius

Hello - 16 hours 27 minutes ago #97082

• adamsirius
  • Away
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
HE HAD MEDALS???? My God. Thank you for this info... My entire family - being descended from his eldest daughter had nothing good to say about him as he vanishes after WWI. I have his WWI records - but then he vanishes in 1918 Deptford. Think I found his parents in Kells 1901 census - am moving to Ireland in a week ironically, so it's nice knowing I'm going back to the land of my great grandfather. email is [email protected] if you would like any info I have or if you have any info, many many thanks ANDREW

Hello - 16 hours 19 minutes ago #97083

• adamsirius
  • Away
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
regarding John Henry later; he was listed as Ship's electrician; was a Sgt in WWI; worked as an orderly in Dumfries - where he met Annie Cran - but was also [in verbal family history] as having worked in Belfast on the Titanic. [?] or perhaps my autism is showing and you know nothing of JH from an ancestral point but am merely passing info on, apologies if so, and many thanks for your kind messages and the info.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds