Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Wolverhampton Service Company attached 1st Battalion South Staffordshire Regimen 2 days 8 hours ago #97035

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 934
Philip - have just emailed you paperwork for your GGF (his comrades to follow this evening).

The second photo of your GGF throws me into confusion as he is wearing a uniform he had no right to. Are you sure it is him? I note in your comments on your Ancestry Public Family Tree you cannot find his brother Arthur on the 1901 Census but you can find his family - this is an indicator (but not proof) that he also served in the Second Boer War.

Regards, David.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wolverhampton Service Company attached 1st Battalion South Staffordshire Regimen 1 day 17 hours ago #97041

• trooper
  • trooper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 6
Hello David,As for the second photograph it is him, l can ensure you that : as for the uniform;in the Staffordshire museum [Volunteer/Militia Regiment] there is a uniform of a high ranking nco, from the Walsall Detachment wear Glengarry Headwear, Tartan Trousers, scarlet Top, I will have to find that image, l have seen it before, but where?; on the uniform of my GGD the buttons do show the South Staffs Regiment, when blown up l hasten to say, could he have been a bandsman? ,Archibald was born 1877, he was at his his brothers wedding in Ribblesford {Bewdley}1895 aged 18, he was living in West Bromwich before then, family disagreement. . The uniform done the same to myself, it is of walking out dress, I believe that As for Arthur he was a Telegraph linesman,Regards Philip
ps Back in Carmarthen, the Battery Sergeant Major lived next door in Union Street, did he give ideas to Archibald; Also there were many A Smiths on the Muster Roll for the 1st Battalion but we have his number. Also found an A E Smith on the roll of honour at Wednesbury or West Bromwich.

Wolverhampton Service Company attached 1st Battalion South Staffordshire Regimen 1 day 17 hours ago #97042

• trooper
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
David, Arthur was in the RE in 1916, Corporal, came home on leave, not found his documents yet.

Wolverhampton Service Company attached 1st Battalion South Staffordshire Regimen 1 day 16 hours ago #97043

• trooper
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Here is an News Paper Express and Star, unknown year,Cutting of Old Comrades from The Wolverhampton Service Company talking of the Boer war, a few tales, when l can get it to load, will make it smaller again.
Can anybody enlighten me on the 92 days of living on bread.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1, Smethwick

Wolverhampton Service Company attached 1st Battalion South Staffordshire Regimen 1 day 9 hours ago #97047

• Smethwick
According to the 1st VSC medal rolls:

Joe Davies = 6862 Lance-Corporal J Davies
Bluett = 6957 Private H A Blewitt

Both received QSA's with 4 clasps - Wittebergen, Cape Colony, Transvaal & South Africa 1901

According to Jeffrey Elson:

Davies was a member of the Bilston Volunteers.
Blewitt was a member of the Sutton Coldfield Volunteers.

Will look up their attestation/service records.

There were continuous supply issues during the ABW and letters home continually complained of food shortages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: trooper

Wolverhampton Service Company attached 1st Battalion South Staffordshire Regimen 1 day 9 hours ago #97048

• Smethwick
Cannot find any paperwork for 6862 Davies - which is interesting as Jeffrey Elson's book also claims he died of wounds during WW1. In my experience you often cannot find ABW paperwork for men who subsequently died in WW1. [Edit: Further research shows Jeffrey and his collaborators identified the wrong Joseph Davies who died in WW1 - two died serving for the 2nd Btn SS Rgt but both were far too young to have served in the ABW. They may have been misled by whoever was responsible for suppressing military records of those who died in WW1. My copy of Jeffrey's book now contains a marginal pencil written note.]

6957 Herbert Aldritt Blewitt was born in the Perry Barr area of Birmingham. Aged 26 when he attested in Handsworth on 5th February 1900. Father's address - Coleshill House, Coleshill, Warwickshire.

Coleshill & Sutton Coldfield are both on the NE edge of Birmingham and about half a dozen miles apart.

btw Philip did you receive my email with attachments?
The following user(s) said Thank You: trooper

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.516 seconds