Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

62 nd Battery Royal Field Artillery 4 years 10 months ago #63723

• higgs115
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi there
My Great grandfather also served in 62 bty. He was one of the few soldiers who manned the 2 guns at Modder river and has this on his clasps. His name was G Higgs and we are lucky enough to have the painting of 62 Bty unlimbering at Modder river showing his gun in action.

Picture shows 62 bty after the battle of modder river and his medals
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI, Frank Kelley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

62 nd Battery Royal Field Artillery 4 years 10 months ago #63724

• higgs115
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
a print of the bty unlimbering at modder river.
Attachments:

62 nd Battery Royal Field Artillery 4 years 10 months ago #63726

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It certainly shows the absolute tragedy of war, sadly the wretched Modder was certainly no stranger to the dead, be they mules, horse's and of course people, what was your great grandfathers name?

higgs115 wrote: a print of the bty unlimbering at modder river.

62 nd Battery Royal Field Artillery 4 years 10 months ago #63732

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Higgs115
Thanks for posting the 62 RFA battery group photo. The QSA medal roll WO/100 page 53 for 62RFA shows your GGF as "19909 Driver George Higgs" with the illustrated clasps. A marginal note says "Transferred, serving with 2nd Local Ammunition Column, South Africa".
Regards
IL.

62 nd Battery Royal Field Artillery 4 years 10 months ago #63735

• Frank Kelley
Hello Ian,
I had not noted his name had already been given, George Higgs had indeed been posted from the 62nd Battery on the 11th of July 1900, I dare say he might have felt a degree of relief, being a Driver had not changed all that much since Waterloo and you could certainly expect to be in the thick of it whilst on campaign.
Regards Frank

LinneyI wrote: Higgs115
Thanks for posting the 62 RFA battery group photo. The QSA medal roll WO/100 page 53 for 62RFA shows your GGF as "19909 Driver George Higgs" with the illustrated clasps. A marginal note says "Transferred, serving with 2nd Local Ammunition Column, South Africa".
Regards
IL.

62 nd Battery Royal Field Artillery 4 years 10 months ago #63745

• Frank Kelley
Hello Ian,
Is that the number, 22245, that is actually impressed upon the medal, it always amuses me when you compare the way things were back in those days with the situation today, to be posted to a Battery after just four weeks or so at a Depot.
I note his father lived in St Lukes, I was in EC1 recently, I also know the Bastwick Street area, I very much doubt if Tutin would recognise much if he visited these days.
Regards Frank,

LinneyI wrote: David/gendancer
Sent without details:
QSA bars NATAL/MODDER RIVER/PAARDEBURG/JOHANNESBURG/SA1901 to "22245 Gnr. J.R.TUTIN, 62nd Bty: RFA"
BWM to "30987 Pte J.R.TUTIN, HOUSEHOLD B"
VM to "30987 Pte J.R.TUTIN, G.Gds"
ISM to "John Robert TUTIN"
John Robert TUTIN took his discharge in September 1909 after serving 12 years at Home, SA, India and Home again. He re-enlisted in November 1915 and served in the Post Office Rifles and then in April 1918 was posted to 5th Bn, GG.
John Robert TUTIN's WW1 service got really serious on 26091918 when he was posted Guards Div. Base Depot, BEF, France with qualification noted as Lewis Gunner. He served overseas until Febuary, 1919 and was finally discharged in March of 1920.
Regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.064 seconds