Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Badge and motto of the Border Mounted Rifles 8 years 3 weeks ago #45958

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
After posting about Major J R Greer, Border Mounted Rifles, yesterday, it seemed possible that the regiment's unusual badge seen on some of Greer's shooting prizes might have attracted attention. The story of the BMR's badge is well known, at least amongst a certain class of person in Natal, but it is worth repeating for a wider audience. It is told below by Eric Goetzsche in his book, 'The Official NMR History:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Badge and motto of the Border Mounted Rifles 8 years 3 weeks ago #45974

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
Thanks for reminding me of this story, I'd actually forgotten all about it, I've always believed that whilst the regiment certainly used this motto almost immediately, in the war, it's use as an actual badge, by the regiment, was after Vereeniging.
A superb story, many thanks again.
Frank

Badge and motto of the Border Mounted Rifles 8 years 3 weeks ago #45975

• Brett Hendey
Frank
That is indeed the case. Colin Owen also recorded the crest and motto badges as being 1902 - 1913. There are several BMR titles, one of which was certainly used during the Boer War. It is the heavy brass title used by Natal regiments and locally raised irregular regiments as a slouch hat badge. The ones I have in my collection are for the BMR (see below), Natal Carbineers, and Imperial Light Horse. I have also seen one for the Natal Mounted Rifles.
Regards
Brett

Attachments:

Badge and motto of the Border Mounted Rifles 8 years 2 weeks ago #46027

• Frank Kelley
Hello Brett,
Yes, those heavy cast examples like you show were worn on their hats, even thought the Natal Volunteers did wear shoulder titles, the ILH rank and file in the SAMIF did not wear shoulder titles in 1899 and also wore those heavy cast badges on their hats too.
The BMR would have expanded once the war started, perhaps calling out some old members and I doubt if they had a sufficient supply of the standard regimental badges, attached, available to them so they would have just ordered some locally.
It is certainly interesting to note their officers in rather plain Field Service Caps and Staff Pattern Forage Caps, not, unlike their contemporaries in the Natal Carbineers.
Regards Frank

Attachments:

Badge and motto of the Border Mounted Rifles 8 years 2 weeks ago #46031

• Brett Hendey
Frank
Thank you for your reply, and the pic of the BMR badge, which is another one I do not have in my collection.

What is your opinion of the two badges Owen attributes to the Umzimkulu Mounted Rifles (432 and 433 in his book)? Some people believe that, like other UMR badges, they actually belonged to the Umvoti Mounted Rifles. To have them found with a family in association medals to the BMR would settle the issue. Has that ever happened?

Regards
Brett

Badge and motto of the Border Mounted Rifles 8 years 2 weeks ago #46048

• Frank Kelley
Morning Brett,
Not a favourite book of mine, I have to say, notwithstanding, I took a brief look after a gentle "dusting" and I suspect the former is certainly Unvoti MR, but, yes, to have it as part of a group would settle matters once and for all, that, I'm afraid would be very unlikely these days, forty odd years ago, perhaps.
Regards Frank

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.152 seconds