Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Mauser research 5 years 3 months ago #62142

• Hoarsecock
  • Hoarsecock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
If it's my rifle, it was in Manitoba at some point yes.
I bought it from a guy in Saskatoon but he was relaying the story of how the rifle was captured to me as 2nd hand info.
He did mention that there was a tag that came with it but that the previous owner had it and possibly misplaced it.

Mike if you remember any additional info about the rifle I'd really appreciate it.

What puzzles me about the rifle is this:
It was captured from the armoury in Pretoria around June of 1900 I'd guess.
That's about 8-9 months after the war started.
The rifle is in amazing condition and the serial number on the cleaning rod matches the serial on receiver which I understand is rare.
One would think that it was un-issued.

But then why did someone I'd assume a Burgher carve his Initial "K" into the stock?
Was "K" killed or captured in the early stages of the war? And the rifle sent back to the armoury in Pretoria?
Was "K" killed or captured at Paardeberg in February 1900? (5 months after the war started) I think that the Canadians were at Paardeberg?
And that the narrative became Pretoria and not Paardeberg with the passage of time?

The things that keep me up at night.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mauser research 4 years 6 months ago #66050

• JRWillauer
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
My understanding that if it was a the Rifle was purchased by the Orange Free State that were made by DWM were marked O.V.S, on the receiver and the stock. There was no crest on the top of the receiver. There was an article titled "The Guns of the Boer Commandos" in the June 2016 issue of the "American Rifleman". The article refers to books by Dr Ron Bester and David George. There is an interesting video on Boer rifles on YouTube at

If this link is not allowed, please delete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.703 seconds