Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

South African Constabulary 10 years 9 months ago #12090

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Morning Frank....

I have had the Hill medal and badge for about 20 years now but did not get a photo of the headstone or his service documents until about 4 years ago when Jim Wallace wrote his book on the SAC and did his research in SA.....

I have 2 "A" Division, 2 "B" Division, 2 "C" Division and 1 "B" to "C" Division.... I also have the uniform of a member of Strathcona's Horse who went into the SAC when the Strath's went home, Captain P. Fall..... In one set of documents he is Percy and another Perry also Fall and Falls..... He stayed in SA and became a big game hunter.....

Mike

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Mike,

All interesting stuff though, how long have you had Hill in your collection, I think you can and should always expect to pay a premium for Canadian's in particular those in B division that were up in Pietersburg.

Kind regards Frank

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

South African Constabulary 10 years 9 months ago #12100

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
Are all those you mention to Canadian recipients and if so did you do the research side of things first and then cherry pick those medals available?
I have never really bothered with these, with the end result that very many good medals have been turned down in favour of the SAMIF and the British Army.
Just curious really, but, it does all go to show that the medals are out there and can be had for what is now very little money in real terms, I feel the badges are rather harder to find.
I was either not a member of this forum or had just joined when you did this post, anyway, I missed it back then and came across it only the other day and thought I should at least ask you about it.
Kind regards Frank

South African Constabulary 10 years 9 months ago #12101

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hi Frank.....

No problem......

Yes in a couple of cases I was able to cherry pick the Canadians..... The Hill medal was offered to me by the family.....

The good thing is I have a copy of Jim's book that lists all the Canadians that were in the SAC, and it is easy to do a quick check......

Mike

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Mike,
Are all those you mention to Canadian recipients and if so did you do the research side of things first and then cherry pick those medals available?
I have never really bothered with these, with the end result that very many good medals have been turned down in favour of the SAMIF and the British Army.
Just curious really, but, it does all go to show that the medals are out there and can be had for what is now very little money in real terms, I feel the badges are rather harder to find.
I was either not a member of this forum or had just joined when you did this post, anyway, I missed it back then and came across it only the other day and thought I should at least ask you about it.
Kind regards Frank

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

South African Constabulary 10 years 9 months ago #12103

• Frank Kelley
Well, I quite like the SAC, there is, I suppose, a tendency to overlook them, this was the case with me, because their medals tend to look uninteresting, with just state clasps, but, I think they deserve more attention than they actually get, afterall, a couple of VC's were earned by its members during the war, thanks for sharing your thoughts and indeed your collection Mike.

South African Constabulary 10 years 9 months ago #12110

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Fabulous Mike!

Frank - that was really interesting about the Tantallon Castle too.
Dr David Biggins

South African Constabulary 10 years 9 months ago #12117

• Frank Kelley
Hello David,
Yes, all interesting, when you look at Mike's badges you can really see BP's influence, big, bold and in your face, he was quite the showman character and I am sure Colonel Steele approved of them too.
Kind regards Frank

djb wrote: Fabulous Mike!

Frank - that was really interesting about the Tantallon Castle too.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.631 seconds