Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Mauser Markings 9 years 10 months ago #19640

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Justin
A very nice example of the Boer Mauser carbine. Nice to see that it looks like it has an original sling; though the ring on the RHS of the stock could also be used to attach the carbine to a saddle. When these carbines were first delivered, they had a sheet metal protector sprung around the front sight. You will observe that the leaf of the backsight may be held in the "down" position by sliding the sighting bar forward to lock against the central post. Prevents the sight leaf being accidentally erected and being damaged.
Does the carbine have matching numbers on bolt and action? Here in OZ, the great majority of Boer Mausers have mismatching bolts; I understand that when Boer longarms were captured, rifles went in one pile and the bolts in the other. Those wanting a souvenir just grabbed whatever was handy.
In the past, I have owned several of these "name carved" Boer rifles and tried to get a handle on the initial owners via the Oorlog medal roll. Unfortunately, there were at least three persons on the roll for each of the names! I trust you will be more fortunate than I.
Regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mauser Markings 7 years 6 months ago #48429

I have one with the stock and receiver marked A4156. Can you tell me anything about the owner?
I will post a picture when I get a small enough file

Mauser Markings 7 years 6 months ago #48430

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Graham
The number you quoted is simply a serial number; applied at the factory. Originally, the bolt was also similarly numbered. In OZ, It is fairly uncommon to find a Boer Mauser rifle/carbine with a matching bolt. Sometimes, should the arm in question have a name/initials carved on its stock, it might be possible to attribute such a rifle to an individual by reference to the ABO roll.
Regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.332 seconds