Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

How do users feel about a voluntary donation option? 11 years 6 months ago #5279

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
I wanted to air a thought I have been having about adding a donation button to the site and asking people who find the site useful for a voluntary annual donation of say, £5 per annum.

I never plan to charge for access to the site and like the fact that there is no advertising. I have been approached by people who would like to advertise on the site but always declined these requests. Another reason for not charging for the site is that, through the forum, many people now contribute to the site's content which is an apect I really appreciate and want to continue.

The costs of maintaining the site have increased five fold recently with the move to a dedicated hosting environment. I don't want to make a profit from the site but I am looking for ways to cover the costs of its maintainance.

The voluntary contribution is therefore an option.

How does that sound?

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: How do users feel about a voluntary donation option? 11 years 6 months ago #5281

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
David

Everyone who uses your site owes you a great debt of gratitude, so the option of making donations to maintain the site is an excellent one. My UK 'bank manager' is touring the US at present and when he returns I will arrange for him to make such a donation.

Regards
Brett

Re: How do users feel about a voluntary donation option? 11 years 6 months ago #5285

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
David

Count me in for a donation, worth every penny.
I think the BMF do the same thing, this is not a suggestion but they also include the word "sponsor" under the user name when a donation is made.
Let me know when.

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: How do users feel about a voluntary donation option? 11 years 6 months ago #5294

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hi David.....

If you could accpet PayPal I would be quite willing to make a donation.....

Note: I would send it as a gift that way you will not get dinged with the service charges......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: How do users feel about a voluntary donation option? 11 years 6 months ago #5300

• Shannon
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I agree, I would need it to be via paypal. I have had my card compromised by hackers on 2 sites in the past year and no longer feel safe using a card on anything but the big-budget sites. I would be very happy to donate via Paypal.

Re: How do users feel about a voluntary donation option? 11 years 6 months ago #5312

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
David
No problem with this. Tell me what is appropriate.
Regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.457 seconds