Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

8692 Pte.Robert Allan Lovat's Scouts Sev Wnd Nr.Bethlehem 9 years 1 month ago #25778

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Morning Frank,

Thank you for your comments, yes fingers crossed for the KSA

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
It is a shame about the missing KSA, I hope it still exists and one day you actually manage to find it.
Lovat himself really did create a very unique force when his proposal was put to the War Office in December 1899 and these men very certainly not like the usual Imperial Yeomanry types.
From memory, they really only ever had the one very serious engagement, that seems so typical when you look at the IY in general and that was on the 19th to 20th of September 1901, both their CO, Andrew Murray and his Adjutant, Edward Murray were killed.
Regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8692 Pte.Robert Allan Lovat's Scouts Sev Wnd Nr.Bethlehem 9 years 1 month ago #25779

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Lord Lovat and his original officers before leaving for South Africa, sturdy fellows!
Attachments:

8692 Pte.Robert Allan Lovat's Scouts Sev Wnd Nr.Bethlehem 9 years 1 month ago #25780

• coldstream
Frank,

One Officer without facial hair, very poor :lol:

Frank Kelley wrote: Lord Lovat and his original officers before leaving for South Africa, sturdy fellows!

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

8692 Pte.Robert Allan Lovat's Scouts Sev Wnd Nr.Bethlehem 9 years 1 month ago #25782

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Paul
Congratulations on adding another fine medal to your collection. The Lovat name is certainly a proud one, so I am not surprised that you were attracted to the medal.

One of the many Britons to settle in Natal after the Boer War was Arthur Francis Hamilton Newton, who would later become famous as a long distance runner. He settled on a farm in southern Natal near the Pondoland border, a most unfavourable region for farming. In a recent biography, it was recorded that Newton renamed the farm 'Lovat', possibly in recognition of the role played by Lovat's Scouts in the recent war, but it probably had more to do "with his father's reported claim on the Lovat peerage a few years earlier."

Had Arthur Newton's father succeeded in his claim, there may well have been no Lovat's Scouts in the Boer War, Arthur himself may not have left Britain, his disastrous farming venture would not have happened, and he would not have taken up running to draw attention to himself and thereby save his farming venture.

Regards
Brett

8692 Pte.Robert Allan Lovat's Scouts Sev Wnd Nr.Bethlehem 9 years 1 month ago #25788

• coldstream
Hello Brett,

And thank you for your kind comments.
That is a fascinating story, how things could have been very different indeed.

Regards

Brett Hendey wrote: Paul
Congratulations on adding another fine medal to your collection. The Lovat name is certainly a proud one, so I am not surprised that you were attracted to the medal.

One of the many Britons to settle in Natal after the Boer War was Arthur Francis Hamilton Newton, who would later become famous as a long distance runner. He settled on a farm in southern Natal near the Pondoland border, a most unfavourable region for farming. In a recent biography, it was recorded that Newton renamed the farm 'Lovat', possibly in recognition of the role played by Lovat's Scouts in the recent war, but it probably had more to do "with his father's reported claim on the Lovat peerage a few years earlier."

Had Arthur Newton's father succeeded in his claim, there may well have been no Lovat's Scouts in the Boer War, Arthur himself may not have left Britain, his disastrous farming venture would not have happened, and he would not have taken up running to draw attention to himself and thereby save his farming venture.

Regards
Brett

8692 Pte.Robert Allan Lovat's Scouts Sev Wnd Nr.Bethlehem 9 years 1 month ago #25798

• pjac49
  • Thank you received: 32

LinneyI wrote: Paul
Just a little bit more from 8692's 178th Coy., (Lovats Scouts) I.Y. KSA roll; "Embarked for SA 11Mar 00, disembarked England 13 Aug 01. Embarked for SA 3 Dec 01, served until cessation of Hostilities". Only 44 names on the 178th Coy's KSA roll; from the one such pair in my care, the details impressed on the KSA will read "Lovat's Scouts I.Y.".
It is nice to think that my 8782 Cpl. J.Morrison amd your 8692 Pte. R. Allen served pretty much side-by-side in both the first contingent of Lovat's and the later 178th coy.
Keep us posted if you ever run across Allen's KSA.
Regards
IL.

These two also served in the first contingent alongside 8713 Pte G Craig, whose QSA I posted on here in December.

Patrick

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.525 seconds