Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: MID's in the Boer War 13 years 3 weeks ago #130

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 716
I should add that in addition to the RGA and SALH MID's in my collection, which have disappointed me, I do have another two undocumented MID's that I regard highly because researching the men concerned indicated that they had performed their duties well enough to be rewarded. In another time, another place and another unit, perhaps they would have been decorated.

They were Sub-Inspectors Abraham and Hamilton of the Natal Police. I will write more about them elsewhere.

Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: MID's in the Boer War 13 years 3 weeks ago #131

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Here are my examples:

Cpl HE Bradish 37 Btty RFA RA Mounted Rifles:
MID " A patrol being surrounded near Braaklaagte, ORC on 12-1-02 volunteered to carry message for assiatnce & rode through very heavy fire to do so".
Promoted Corporal.

Gnr JH Neill 4 Btty RFA:
MID 17-01-1902 " assisted Lieut. Hobbs to work their gun under heavy & close fire, was one of only 2 men left unwounded at Kleenfontein [sic] 24-10-1901". [Not promoted like Bradish! Killed in this action was Lt HN Hill 4 Btty - I know his great-nephew.]

and from the medal roll:
Sgt MG Starck District Mounted Police OC Laingsburg District:
"On proclamation of Martial Law assisted Commandant Tottie 4th West Yorks, at Laingsburg for over 3 months. In September '01 was a scout and guide to Colonel Crabbe's column operating in the Prince Albert's and Ladismith Districts. Was instrumental in the surrounding and breaking up Commandant Van Der Merwe's Commando."

In WWI I am sure Bradish and Neill would have been put forward for MMs. Why STarck didn't get an MID I don't know - perhaps because he was a civilian.

Surely these three medals are worth more because of the MID/gallant conduct than equivalents.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Re: MID's in the Boer War 13 years 3 weeks ago #132

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 716
Meurig

Those are excellent examples of the kind of MIDs I would like to have linked to QSAs in my collection.

My man Abraham was linked with Fairlie and mentioned by Buller (30/3/1900) "For gallant and meritorious service", presumably for keeping Buller safe while they successively headed Buller's Bodyguard. At a later time they may have received the MBE.

There is no comment recorded for Hamilton's MID (Kitchener, 23/6/1902), but it would have been for his command of the Mtonjaneni outpost during 1901/2.

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.382 seconds