Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Captain Hassell, American Scouts 8 years 8 months ago #42672

• Henk Loots
  • Henk Loots's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi

Captain John Hassell’s ABO medal is, as far as I know, the only one where the recipient’s rank is given in English!

Michael Davitt in “The Boer Fight for Freedom” described him in May 1900 as “…a smart soldierly looking young fellow, as resourceful and courageous as Americans of the true-grit brand are known to be…”
Hassell’s 1956 medal application was handled on consular level : it did not feature in the regular sources and is not recorded in Forsyth. His ABO was framed with the award-letter and fortunately reached me that way!!

His memoirs (19 pages) were taken down by a Dr Muller in the SA Embassy, Washington in 1952. According to this document, Hassell joined Ward 4 of the Vryheid Commando under Fieldcornet van der Berg at the outbreak of hostilities (this was confirmed in Archival records in 1956 when the ABO application was pending). In February 1900 he put forward a proposal to form a body of American Scouts : this was speedily accepted and on 9 March 1900 a “Commission Document” to that effect was signed by Pres Kruger.

In August 1900 he was relieved from further military duties by Gen Louis Botha and returned to the USA where he furthered the Boer cause with lectures, etc.

Time permitting, I will at some future stage do a comprehensive write-up of this colourful individual’s career.
Henk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Captain Hassell, American Scouts 8 years 8 months ago #42673

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning Henk.......

It is interesting that the letter, and other documents, are dated 1956..... This must be one of the last issued......

Looking forward to more information......

Thanks

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Captain Hassell, American Scouts 8 years 8 months ago #42679

• Henk Loots
  • Henk Loots's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Mike
The last batch of 12 ABO medals were issued in 1982, more than 25 years after Hassell's medal
Henk

Captain Hassell, American Scouts 8 years 8 months ago #42680

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2155
Riveting stuff Henk.

This is the reason why I collect - in the hopes that something unique like this comes my way.

If you've no objection to the telling I'd like to hear the story of how you came by the medal.

Regards

Rory

Captain Hassell, American Scouts 8 years 8 months ago #42682

• FSburgher
  • Thank you received: 12
Hello Henk
Thank you for sharing this absolutely wonderful information with Forum members with an interest in ABW past history and the characters who played out their lives in South Africa during that conflict.
Do you have info on Hassell's career in the USA? was he a veteran of the Spanish American war?
Evyn V/S Burgher

Captain Hassell, American Scouts 8 years 8 months ago #42684

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Henk,
Did Captain Allan Richard Lleigh Hiley himself, or indeed, his family, also claim an ABO?
Kind regards Frank

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.883 seconds