Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Corporal C R Heslop, Border Mounted Rifles 3 years 7 months ago #71322

Thanks for the article about Charles Robert Heslop, who was my grandfather. His family emigrated fro Yorkshire to Natal in 1850 with the group organized by Charles Boast, who died before they left York. They were due to sail on the 'Pallas', which was declared unseaworthy. A replacement had to be found, and the expense of the delay was held by a Court to be payable by Boast. The strain caused his premature death. His wife, however, decided to continue the project, and another ship, the 'Haidee' was arranged. Heslop's father George was born aboard one of the ships in Hull harbour. The group founded a village named York, near Greytown in Natal, and it was here that George Heslop married and raised his children. Charles Heslop had six children with my grandmother, Hester Burger, one of whom, Ivy, died as a child. As far as I know, Charles left his family with no means of support, and then worked for a while in East Griqualand. His later career was as described above. Hester married Percy Kemp, and had tow children with him. Recently I found George heslop's Will online, and saw that, in a Codicil, he had disinherited my grandfather "for his behaviour toward me". Perhaps a sign of things to come. Our side of the family never mentioned him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Corporal C R Heslop, Border Mounted Rifles 3 years 7 months ago #71324

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 716
Thank you for adding to the life story of Corporal Heslop. Another descendant contacted me a few months ago, so it seems he is far from forgotten.

Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.730 seconds