• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
[DCM]
[Queen's Sudan]
[QSA (4) Paard Drie CC SA01]
Khedive Sudan (1) Khartoum (67953 Gr N McLeod, 37th Fd Brt RA)

DCM LG 27 Sep 1901. 65th Battery

A master tailor. Died 1946.

Harper's July 2005 £420.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DCMs for the Boer War 4 years 5 months ago #66576

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
DCM Ed VII
QSA (4) CC OFS SA01 SA02

To Sgt T Fagan Manchester Regiment

DCM LG 31 October 1902.

Gordon's 1996 £400
Dr David Biggins

DCMs for the Boer War 4 years 5 months ago #66577

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
DCM Ed VII (2250 QMS Dorset Regt)
QSA (4) TH OFS RoL Tr (2250 Co Sgt Dorset Regt) engraved
KSA (2) (2250 QMS Dorset Regt)

William Arthur Chadwick Thomason

Born 1871 in India. Drummer January 1888. Corporal January 1892. Sergeant January 1895. Colour Sergeant January 1898. QMS January 1901. Discharged October 1904. Conduct 'Formerly very good (seventeen years). Latterly indifferent for the last twelve months, neglected duty as OR Sergeant'

MID. DCM LG 31 October 1902.

DMD Medals, September 2006 £2,700.
Dr David Biggins

DCMs for the Boer War 4 years 5 months ago #66579

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
DCM VR (Tptr F Downing IY)

Dealer unknown. Date unknown £290.
Dr David Biggins

DCMs for the Boer War 4 years 5 months ago #66613

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Pictures courtesy of DNW

DCM Ed VII and Second Award Bar (1081 T. Serjt:-Maj: F. W. Wing. S.A.C.) the reverse of the Bar inscribed ‘S.W.A. 1915’;
QSA (2) Laing’s Nek, Belfast (3802 Corpl. F. Wing. 5/Lcrs.);
KSA (2) (1081 T.S. Maj: F. W. Wing. S.A.C.);
1914-15 Star (Sjt. F. W. Wing 5th M.R.);
British War and Victory Medals, with M.I.D. oak leaves (2. Lieut. F. W. Wing.);
South African Medal for War Service 1939-45, unnamed as issued.

Together with a renamed K.S.A.

DCM London Gazette 31 October 1902; Army Order 10 of 1903. Awarded for Leeuwkop, 10-12 June 1901. The recommendation for the award of a Gallantry Badge and ultimately the D.C.M. states:

‘Statement by Lieut. J. F. Wolseley Bourne, S.A.C., regarding the action of under mentioned N.C.O’s and Men in the action fought at or near Leeuwkop on the 10th, 11th, and 12th June, 1901.

No. B.1081 T.S.M. Wing. This N.C.O. was severely wounded in taking some led horses back to men who were late in retiring, a party of Boers were in some Kraals not very far off, and who kept up a very severe fire. It was a plucky act on T.S.M. Wing’s part, and the men late in retiring got away alright although T.S.M. Wing was wounded.’

Bar to D.C.M. London Gazette 22 August 1918: ‘For distinguished service in the Field, in connection with the campaign in German South West Africa, 1914-15’:- 0134 Sqdn. S.M. F. W. Wing, D.C.M., 5th Mounted Rifles (Imperial Light Horse).

This is a unique award of a Great War Bar to a Boer War D.C.M. to South African forces.

Frederick William Wing was born on 3 July 1869, in the Parish of St Giles, Reading, Berkshire, ‘son of a Berkshire Militia colour-sergeant who served in the Indian Mutiny.’ He attested for the 5th Lancers at Reading on 26 May 1890, and in December of that year went out to India, where he served for 7 years and 84 days, followed by just over nine months in South Africa. After a year at Home he went, in December 1899, once more to South Africa upon the outbreak of war. He was slightly wounded at Belfast on 27 August 1900, at which time he was a Paid Lance-Sergeant. He transferred to the South African Constabulary on 1 June 1901, and served with them for the remainder of the war.

According to his own statement of services, he served ‘5th R. I. Lancers 12 years, wounded at Belfast, recommended for D.C.M. S.A.C 5 years, wounded at Leeuwkop, Police Gallantry Badge, D.C.M. & Despatches. Berkshire Yeomanry 3 years after leaving S.A.C., nearly a year in D.L.I. [Durban L.I.]. I.L.H. one year G. West Africa, D.C.M., Despatches. G. E. Africa 1 year. Commission for gallantry in Field. Proceeded to England at my own expense & was wrecked in the Channel in 1918. Obtained direct commission & finally commanded a Coy. of Middlesex Regt. Name forwarded to Director of Personal Services at War Office. I also was acting as R.S.M. in I.L.H. during trouble on Reef in 1922 [Rand Rebellion].’

Having served in German South West Africa in 1914-15, and in German East Africa in 1916, Wing became a Gymnastic Instructor at Jeppe High School, Johannesburg, and was also involved with local volunteer units and school cadets. When applying for a commission in the 30th Middlesex Regiment in September 1919 he gave his occupation as Schoolmaster. He relinquished his commission in January 1921, with permission to retain rank of Captain. After his return to South Africa from England, he continued to reside at Kensington, Johannesburg.

Having been turned down by a Medical Board in 1906 for a pension in respect of the wound he received at Leeuwkop during the Boer War, Wing pursued the matter again in December 1928, shortly before he was due to retire. Writing to the Doctor who had proposed his case at that time, he stated: ‘You told me personally, in a joke, I would always be able to get my living as a Barometer as I should know changes of weather more so as I grew older. This is so you may remember I was shot through the R. Buttock & Hip touching the Sciatic nerve. I suffer a great deal from same now although my active service extended for very many years in fact till the Revolution in Rand in 1922. The wound trouble has of course been aggravated by service in G.W. Af., G.E. Af. & overseas. When I was discharged from S.A.C. I lost 16 years service & received no compensation or gratuity for wound.’ It would appear from the accompanying copied correspondence, including a recommendation from Robert Baden-Powell, that his petition met with no success.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman, GlenCadX

DCMs for the Boer War 4 years 4 months ago #67092

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Re the DCM group to J Barfield that was sold by DNW earlier this year, I have been contacted by someone who has the original Victory Medal. The VM is named to 6348 W.O.CL.1.J.BARFIELD.NOTTS.&DERBY.R. The VM sold by DNW was noted to be renamed.

If anyone purchases the group to Barfield, please contact me and I will put you in touch.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.553 seconds