Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

DCMs for the Boer War 1 week 4 days ago #96935

• Grandrew2
  • Thank you received: 16
Sorry file to big to attach

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DCMs for the Boer War 1 week 4 days ago #96936

• Neville_C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2435
"The Diary of Services of the First Battalion The Royal Scots during the Boer War" (Deane, Maj. G., 1904) includes a list of "Honours Gained".

I imagine the fact that there were two A. Smiths, one a Sergeant-Major and the other a Colour-Sergeant, who both received the D.C.M. and who were both M.I.D. on 9 Sep 1901, might cause some confusion .... Or, is this an error, and they are in fact one and the same man?

Stevenson is a scarce publication. I once had a copy (that illustrated on p. 59 of Hackett), but sold it in the mid-90s. Paul Dunn will have copy.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

DCMs for the Boer War 1 week 3 days ago #96937

• Grandrew2
  • Thank you received: 16
Thanks Neville
I suspect they are one and the same as Arthur got his DCM as a Sgt Major with the MI when he finally came back to the 1st Battalion he was a QMS or maybe even RQMS although his DCM I suspect will be inscribed 1631 Col Sgt. His Officer papers mention multiple MIDs
However I stand to be corrected one day when both turn up

Andrew

DCMs for the Boer War 1 week 3 days ago #96950

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4723

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

DSO GV;
DCM Ed VII;
QSA (5) Relief of Kimberley, Paardeberg, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Wittebergen;
KSA (2);
1914-15 Star;
British War and Victory Medals with MID;
IGS 1908 (1) Afghanistan N.W.F. 1919;
Defence Medal;
Coronation 1937;
Army LS&GC Ed VII;
Army MSM GVI

DSO London Gazette 22 December 1916.
DCM London Gazette 31 October 1902.

Edward Arthur Stretch was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 29 December 1870, the son of a soldier in the 84th Regiment of Foot, and attested for the Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Wrexham on 16 October 1889. Promoted Corporal in May 1891, and Sergeant in April 1893, he served in South Africa during the Boer War as Colour Sergeant of the Western Company of the 2nd Mounted Infantry, and was present at the Relief of Kimberley; according the the recipient’s own reminiscences, ‘My Captain, Ingham Brooke, and I were the first men into Kimberley’. He saw further service at Paardeberg (wounded), and again distinguished himself when serving as the advanced Scouts from Ian Hamilton’s Column: ‘One of our boys had his horse shot and he was also wounded and helpless whilst his horse was struggling. I galloped forward and released the boy after I had to shoot the poor horse, and heaved the boy onto my horse and was taking him back out of rifle range when I met the doctor, an Australian attached to our Battalion, who stopped me and between us we got the boy down and the Doctor bandaged him up. The Doctor had taken off his jacket and had a white shirt on which made him a fine target for the Boers who kept up a rifle fire but with no damage and before the Doctor had put on his jacket one of the Staff Officers, Major Haig [later Field Marshal Earl Haig], turned up and slated the Doctor for exposing himself in a white shirt! Incidentally the Doctor received the V.C. for attending the wounded under fire!’ For his services in South Africa during the Boer War he was Mentioned in Despatches and awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal.

Commission temporary Second Lieutenant on 21 February 1915, Stretch saw further service with the 8th Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers throughout the Great War, landing at Gallipoli on 16 July 1915, and was reputedly on of the last men to leave the Gallipoli peninsula on 8 January 1916. He saw further service in Mesopotamia on the Staff of the 40th Brigade, and whilst there was awarded the Distinguished Service Order for his gallantry during the attack on El Hannah, being wounded in the action, but remaining at duty. Additionally, for his services during the Great War he was thrice Mentioned in Despatches (London Gazettes 24 August 1916, 11 November 1918, and 7 February 1919). Advanced Lieutenant-Colonel, he saw further service on the North West Frontier of India during the Third Afghan War. His final award was receiving the Meritorious Service Medal, with annuity, on 13 October 1950. He died at Maidstone, Kent, on 14 May 1953.

Sold with the recipient’s original Commission Document appointing him a Second Lieutenant on 19 February 1915; Bestowal Document for the D.S.O. together with a copy of the Statutes of the Order; three Mentioned in Despatches Certificates, dated 24 August 1916, 11 November 1918, and 7 February 1919; First Class certificate of Education and four Certificates of Instruction; various photographs of the recipient in uniform and wearing his medals; various Old Comrades Association Dinner Menus; various newspaper cuttings and other ephemera.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.532 seconds