Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A Captain in the Eastern Province Horse - C.G. Southey 7 years 8 months ago #48391

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2158
Claude Gilfillan Southey

Lieutenant, Gorringe’s Flying Column
Captain, Eastern Province Horse – Anglo Boer War

- Queens South Africa Medal with clasp Cape Colony to Capt. C. Southey, Eastn. Prov. H.

Claude Southey was a “high-born” colonial South African. The son of Charles William Southey C.M.G., the Civil Commissioner of Middleburg in the Eastern Cape and his wife Georgina Maria (born Greaves) he saw the light of day for the first time on 24 April 1868 in the small Karoo town of Cradock and was baptised in the Parish of Wynberg, Cape Town on the 27th of June in that year. Why high-born? His grandfather was a notable personality in Cape Colonial Circles – Sir Richard Southey was of 1820 settler stock and was the Colonial Secretary and later the Lieutenant Governor of Griqualand West. Charles William was his oldest son and farmed at 'Culmstock', Schoombee, in the Eastern Cape – the farm is still in the family’s hands today.

Claude’s upbringing would have been typical for the era in which he lived. He received an education at the prestigious St Andrew’s College in Grahamstown entering that august institution in July 1882 and leaving there in December 1885 at the age of 17. Southey was in Day House and played for the 4th Rugby XV in 1883, 1884 and 1885. Whilst in Form IV in 1885 he captained the 3rd Cricket XI and was a member of the Natural History Society. On the cultural front he was played the part of Master William Waddilove in the drama “To Parents and Guardians” and was Confirmed into the Anglican church that November.

Having been groomed to take over and work the lands from his father he then took up the reigns on the family farms. The Karoo area of the Eastern Cape is a dry, semi-desert landscape suited to sheep farming in the main and a young Southey would have had plenty to occupy himself with. It was also an area of the country in the direct path of the Boer forces wanting to liberate the Cape by reaching the sea from the Orange Free State.

The Anglo Boer War erupted in October 1899 and, initially, was of little to no concern for the settler communities in the Cape Colony – after all the first targets appeared to be to the west of the Orange Free State in the form of Kimberley and Mafikeng and to the south of the Transvaal and the east of the Free State into Natal. This soon changed though with reports filtering through of Boer Commandos infiltrating into the Eastern Cape galvanising the local population into action. Town Guards sprung up in every location and larger more mobile units were brought into being.

One such was the Eastern Province Horse – Southey was commissioned into this outfit on 1 February 1900 with the rank of Captain (In the school register (1914) it states that he commanded the Eastern Province Horse from February to May 1900) and was part of the good work done in that month in the Colesberg district as part of the mounted troops under Colonel Page Henderson, particularly between the 20th and the 24th when Clement’s force was involved in much fighting around Arundel. On the 24th he attempted to push back the Boers who were threatening to cut him off from Naauwpoort. Little progress was made, but on the 27th the enemy was found to have retired.

After that they were employed on cattle gathering which, once completed, was found to have exhausted their horses to the point that they were no longer fit for scouting. Southey took his discharge from the E.P.H. on 1 May 1900 and after the elapse of nine months joined yet another of the locally raised units - Gorringe’s Flying Column, cheekily referred to as Gorringe’s Light Oxen because of the rapidity of their movements. Gorringe’s column was raised by Lt. Colonel G.F. Gorringe and saw much service against various Boer Commandos in the Cape. Southey was commissioned into this outfit as a Lieutenant on 7 February 1901 and would have been with them on 19 February 1901 when they were in the Bethesda Road area of the Eastern Cape hot on the heels of the Boer Commandant Gideon Scheepers who had split off from Kritzinger in an attempt to evade capture. The elusive Kritzinger was himself in an engagement with Col Gorringe north of Cradock at the Fish River Station on 23 and 24 February but gave the British the slip and on 3 March 1901 surrounded the village of Pearston from where he continued to be a nuisance.

Southey’s attachment to the G.F.C. wasn’t a long one and after four months he took his release from the unit on 6 June 1901 and returned to his farm. For his efforts he was awarded the Queens South Africa Medal with clasps Cape Colony and South Africa 1901 named to his first unit – the Eastern Province Horse.

Soon after, no longer a young man at the age 34 he married Harrier Hockly Pringle who bore him his first child in 1906. Claude Gilfillan Southey passed away at the Hof Street Nursing Home in Cape Town on 28 December 1934 at the age of 67 survived by his wife and five children. His estate, comprising a number of farms, was a sizable one at 9 306 GBP
[/size]

The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Captain in the Eastern Province Horse - C.G. Southey 7 years 8 months ago #48400

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
A really pleasing medal and one that I came quite close to buying a couple of years ago at one of the very many provincial fairs held throughout Great Britain, whilst perhaps not exactly a bargain, the asking price was not all that great when one considers who the recipient was, notwithstanding his other activities and particular employment, he was, in effect, the number two man in the EPH.

Rory wrote: Claude Gilfillan Southey

Lieutenant, Gorringe’s Flying Column
Captain, Eastern Province Horse – Anglo Boer War

- Queens South Africa Medal with clasp Cape Colony to Capt. C. Southey, Eastn. Prov. H.

Claude Southey was a “high-born” colonial South African. The son of Charles William Southey C.M.G., the Civil Commissioner of Middleburg in the Eastern Cape and his wife Georgina Maria he saw the light of day for the first time on 24 April 1868 and was baptised in the Parish of Wynberg, Cape Town on the 27th of June in that year. Why high-born? His grandfather was a notable personality in Cape Colonial Circles – Sir Richard Southey was of 1820 settler stock and was the Colonial Secretary and later the Lieutenant Governor of Griqualand West. Charles William was his oldest son and farmed at 'Culmstock', Schoombee, in the Eastern Cape – the farm is still in the family’s hands today.

Claude’s upbringing would have been typical for the era in which he lived and he would have, after receiving an education, been groomed to take over and work the lands from his father. The Karoo area of the Eastern Cape is a dry, semi-desert landscape suited to sheep farming in the main and a young Southey would have had plenty to occupy himself with. It was also an area of the country in the direct path of the Boer forces wanting to liberate the Cape by reaching the sea from the Orange Free State.

The Anglo Boer War erupted in October 1899 and, initially, was of little to no concern for the settler communities in the Cape Colony – after all the first targets appeared to be to the west of the Orange Free State in the form of Kimberley and Mafikeng and to the south of the Transvaal and the east of the Free State into Natal. This soon changed though with reports filtering through of Boer Commandos infiltrating into the Eastern Cape galvanising the local population into action. Town Guards sprung up in every location and larger more mobile units were brought into being.

One such was the Eastern Province Horse – Southey was commissioned into this outfit on 1 February 1900 with the rank of Captain and was part of the good work done in that month in the Colesberg district as part of the mounted troops under Colonel Page Henderson, particularly between the 20th and the 24th when Clement’s force was involved in much fighting around Arundel. On the 24th he attempted to push back the Boers who were threatening to cut him off from Naauwpoort. Little progress was made, but on the 27th the enemy was found to have retired.

After that they were employed on cattle gathering which, once completed, was found to have exhausted their horses to the point that they were no longer fit for scouting. Southey took his discharge from the E.P.H. on 1 May 1900 and after the elapse of nine months joined yet another of the locally raised units – Gorringe’s Flying Column, cheekily referred to as Gorringe’s Light Oxen because of the rapidity of their movements. Gorringe’s column was raised by Lt. Colonel G.F. Gorringe and saw much service against various Boer Commandos in the Cape. Southey was commissioned into this outfit as a Lieutenant on 7 February 1901 and would have been with them on 19 February 1901 when they were in the Bethesda Road area of the Eastern Cape hot on the heels of the Boer Commandant Gideon Scheepers who had split off from Kritzinger in an attempt to evade capture. The elusive Kritzinger was himself in an engagement with Col Gorringe north of Cradock at the Fish River Station on 23 and 24 February but gave the British the slip and on 3 March 1901 surrounded the village of Pearston from where he continued to be a nuisance.

Southey’s attachment to the G.F.C. wasn’t a long one and after four months he took his release from the unit on 6 June 1901 and returned to his farm. For his efforts he was awarded the Queens South Africa Medal with clasps Cape Colony and South Africa 1901 named to his first unit – the Eastern Province Horse.

Soon after, no longer a young man at the age 34 he married Harrier Hockly Pringle who bore him his first child in 1906. Claude Gilfillan Southey passed away at the Hof Street Nursing Home in Cape Town on 28 December 1934 at the age of 67 survived by his wife and five children.

[/size]

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

A Captain in the Eastern Province Horse - C.G. Southey 7 years 7 months ago #48407

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2158
Hi Frank

Yes I think you had mentioned that Southey had been on a dealers list or two for quite some time. The price probably was a bit stiff but the dealer was kind enough to accept a swap for the bulk of the money so I wasn't unduly out of pocket.

The Southey family have deep roots in the Eastern Cape and I am rather pleased to bring Claude home to South Africa.

Regards

Rory

A Captain in the Eastern Province Horse - C.G. Southey 7 years 7 months ago #48424

• Frank Kelley
Hello Rory,
Yes, I think it is a very good medal, I can't remember what I bought instead on the day in question, doubtless, something I felt I could not live without, notwithstanding, I am pleased to see Captain Southey his found a good home.
I am trying to remember the last time I actually saw a medal to a member of the Eastern Province Horse for sale here, I certainly have not bought even a single example for some twenty years or so.
The EPH had been raised at Cradock for general service throughout South Africa on the 22nd of January 1900, its rank and file were courageous and gave very good service until their disbandment ironically at Krugersdorp on the 28th of September 1901.
Regards Frank

A Captain in the Eastern Province Horse - C.G. Southey 7 years 7 months ago #48467

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 121
Rory,

Claude Southey was educated at St. Andrew's College, Grahamstown. In the school register (1914) it states that he commanded the Eastern Province Horse from February to May 1900. I wonder what the circumstances were in which he gave up command and resigned his commission.

Best wishes,

Justin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory, Frank Kelley

A Captain in the Eastern Province Horse - C.G. Southey 7 years 7 months ago #48473

• Frank Kelley
Afternoon Justin,
I've always wondered about that, I noticed over twenty years ago after looking at WO127, Southey had served from the 1st of February until the 1st of May 1900, notwithstanding, a very good and rare medal.
Regards Frank

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.996 seconds