Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to HMS Philomel 1 month 1 week ago #94581

• Sturgy
  • Thank you received: 257
There was some strong bidding on Petty Officer H. J. J. Haisom's medals last night with a hammer price of GBP1,600.

Just curious as to why it was in demand? Was it the number of clasps or ship? Just interested to know why; any thoughts?
Speak my name so that I may live again

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to HMS Philomel 1 month 1 week ago #94604

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175

Sturgy wrote: There was some strong bidding on Petty Officer H. J. J. Haisom's medals last night with a hammer price of GBP1,600.

Just curious as to why it was in demand? Was it the number of clasps or ship? Just interested to know why; any thoughts?

Hi Sturgy

Possibly a mix of both, HMS Philomel had a very impressive record. Serving in the ABW, WW1 and then re- commissioned to the New Zealand Navy for WW2 service. The QSA clasps are interesting to a Naval Petty Officer. His service record is also comprehensive .Also, a possible family member of Mr Haisom may have been involved in the bidding.

Regards

Dave....
PS
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Philomel_(1890)
Brief overview of HMS Philomel courtesy of Wikipedia.
A mention of the naval guns being used at Colenso.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Medals to HMS Philomel 1 month 1 week ago #94607

• Sturgy
  • Thank you received: 257
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply; yes I think you are correct that it may have been a combination of factors.

After I posted this query I had a look at my copy of "The Queens South Africa Medal to The Royal Navy and The Royal Marines" by W.H. Fevyer and J.W. Wilson and the images below is courtesy of their book of 1983:

They certainly had an impressive record given that 24 medals issued with 5 bars (clasps), with 1 in circulation with 6 bars; a large number were also presented by the HM The King.

Finally it looks like there are only 144 QSA's ever issued to the Royal Navy/Marines with 5 bars, some returned, of which HMS Philomel was issued with 24 of them (17%).

So you are right; definitely a combination of factors.

Regards,
Sturgy
Speak my name so that I may live again
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.974 seconds