Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the 66th Battery RFA 4 years 4 weeks ago #68132

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
QSA (5) CC TH OFS RoL Tr (19955 Gnr C Jones 66th Bty RFA).

Wounded at Colenso. Died in a Johannesburg train accident 21 August 1901.

City Coins October 1993
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the 66th Battery RFA 4 years 4 weeks ago #68133

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The naming of the QSA to 71534 Gnr W Forde

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the 66th Battery RFA 4 years 3 weeks ago #68136

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi
My "Boer War Battle Collection" will be handled by City Coins later this year. This is an extract from the catalogue:

Colenso Artillery

* QSA, 3 clasps OFS, RoL, Tvl: 21305 Gnr. J. Hodgeson. 66th Bty. R.F.A; KSA, 2 clasps SA’01, SA’02: 21305 Gnr. J. Hodgson. R.F.A
Gunner Hodgson was taken Prisoner of War at Colenso and then held at the Waterval Camp, north of Pretoria. He was released on 6 June 1900.

* QSA, 1 clasp RoL: 98453 Cpl. H.J. Feegan, 66th Bty. R.F.A.
Cpl Feegan was killed in action at Colenso

* DCM (VR): 77668 Dvr. W.T. Bodill, R.F.A.; QSA, 3 clasps OFS, RoL, Tvl: 77668 Dvr. W.T. Bodill, 14th Bty, R.F.A.; KSA, 2 clasps SA’01, SA’02: 77668 Dvr. W.T. Bodill, R.F.A.
WO 132/16 contains important correspondence regarding acts of gallantry during the attempts to save the guns at Colenso.
In a memo from Col Downing, dated 9 March 1900, he noted: “Drivers Bodill & Parmenter appear to have been one of two parties that tried to get the guns away & I understand that their names had not been previously noted for the D.S.Medal…”
On 16 March 1900 Lt Grylls, 66th Bty. RFA clarified the two Drivers’ involvement: “These two Drivers Bodill & Parmenter belongs to 14th Bty, and came up with a limber from their Battery to try and rescue the guns. Their horses were shot & Dr Bodill was wounded and taken prisoner.
Dr Parmenter was wounded…”
Both Drivers were awarded the DCM in the London Gazette of 8 February 1901 (p938): ‘Conspicuous gallantry in attempting to rescue the guns of their battery on 15th December at Colenso’.
Dvr Bodill was wounded and taken prisoner at Colenso and then held at the Waterval Camp, north of Pretoria. He was released on 6 June 1900.

*DCM (VR): Driver E.W. Lucas. R.A.; QSA, 5 clasps CC, TugH, OFS, RoL, Tvl: 6473 Br. E.W. Lucas, 66th Bty. R.F.A.; KSA, 2 clasps SA’01, SA’02: 6473 Bomb. E.W. Lucas. R.F.A.; 1914/15 Star: 17705 Cpl. E.W. Lucas. R.F.A.; BWM & AVM: 17705 Cpl. E.W. Lucas. R.A.
The day after the Colenso disaster General Redvers Buller wrote to the Under Secretary of State, War Office, London to report ‘cases of Distinguished Service in the Field’. After recommending Congreve, Roberts and Nurse for the Victoria Cross, he stated ‘Drivers H Taylor, Young, Petts, Rockall, Lucas and 30661 F Williams, all of the 66th Battery, Royal Field Artillery, rode the teams, each team brought in a gun. I recommend all six for the Medal for Distinguished Conduct in the Field.’
The award of Lucas’ DCM was published in the London Gazette of 2 February 1900 (p689). A photo of Lucas and 4 other “Colenso Guns Heroes” appeared in the Black and White Budget of 7 April, 1900. In a letter home to his father he wrote: ‘I saw Lord Roberts’son killed; I was close to him when it happened’
Lucas did WWI service as Corporal in the RGA as well as the RFA, entering the French Theatre of War on 17 June 1915.

Henk
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals to the 66th Battery RFA 4 years 3 weeks ago #68137

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
That's quite a collection for the 66th, Henk!
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Henk Loots

Medals to the 66th Battery RFA 4 years 3 weeks ago #68138

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Thought I would share another 66th recipient to add to the collection.
31022 Driver Thomas McDonald 66th R.F.A.
Thomas served in S.A , India and France during WW1.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Medals to the 66th Battery RFA 4 years 3 weeks ago #68149

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448

Henk Loots wrote: * DCM (VR): 77668 Dvr. W.T. Bodill, R.F.A.; QSA, 3 clasps OFS, RoL, Tvl: 77668 Dvr. W.T. Bodill, 14th Bty, R.F.A.; KSA, 2 clasps SA’01, SA’02: 77668 Dvr. W.T. Bodill, R.F.A.
WO 132/16 contains important correspondence regarding acts of gallantry during the attempts to save the guns at Colenso.
In a memo from Col Downing, dated 9 March 1900, he noted: “Drivers Bodill & Parmenter appear to have been one of two parties that tried to get the guns away & I understand that their names had not been previously noted for the D.S.Medal…”
On 16 March 1900 Lt Grylls, 66th Bty. RFA clarified the two Drivers’ involvement: “These two Drivers Bodill & Parmenter belongs to 14th Bty, and came up with a limber from their Battery to try and rescue the guns. Their horses were shot & Dr Bodill was wounded and taken prisoner.
Dr Parmenter was wounded…”
Both Drivers were awarded the DCM in the London Gazette of 8 February 1901 (p938): ‘Conspicuous gallantry in attempting to rescue the guns of their battery on 15th December at Colenso’.

Thanks Henk for posting, great little collection. Very interested in the story of Bodill & Parmenter and how they were initially missed. Last year I bought the QSA to Bombardier 31002 T Stephenson, 66th bty RFA who was with the battery at Colenso. He wrote numerous letters home detailing his experiences on the day and relating how he tried to rescue a gun - alone apparently. I have been unable to place his account within the accounts of the other rescues. Was he missed like Bodill & Parmenter and never "found"? More research required.

I wrote about Stepehnson and how many of the 66th were present at Colenso in my blog .

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.909 seconds