Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The Mafeking Matron - Katherine Gertrude Hill 3 years 8 months ago #71360

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2149
Hi David

I seem to have had my facts (partially) mixed up! I got the part right about Hill's first born making his appearance just over 9 months after the nuptials. The part that I transcribed incorrectly is the wedding date - this was indeed some +/- 9 months before her confinement but on 27 JANUARY 1902 - not June as mentioned.

I attach the 2 documents for your records.

Regards

Rory
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Mafeking Matron - Katherine Gertrude Hill 3 years 8 months ago #71373

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Katherine is mentions in this report from the New Zealand Tablet, 4 September 1902.

At the request of the Commandant, General Maxwell, Mother Mary Teresa, Superioress at Mafeking, was presented with the Royal Red Cross during the month of June. It was (writes the Sydney Freeman's correspondent from Mafeking) the wish of the Commandant that the ceremony should take place at a parade of the Garrison in the Public Recreation Grounds, but as the Rev. Mother declined this honor, the Colonel came to the convent, having himself sent printed invitations to the ladies and gentlemen in town to be present. This they enthusiastically responded to, all the elite being in attendance.

Lieutenant-colonel Vyvyan, who was deputed to perform the ceremony, said 'It is my pleasant task this afternoon to carry out the instructions of General Maxwell, my superior officer commanding this district, and to convey to you, Mother Teresa, this Royal Red Cross as a mark of favor from her Majesty the late Queen Victoria. The Order of the Royal Red Cross is one given to ladies who have done good service in nursing and caring for the wounded soldiers. You, Mother Teresa, were the head of the little band of ladies who did such noble work during the siege. Her late Majesty presented this decoration to three of these ladies — Miss Crawford, who received hers at Pretoria, from the hands of Lord Kitchener; Miss Hill (now Mrs Wimble), to whom the presentation was made last week by Colonel Garstin; and it affords me great pleasure to present this to one of my personal friends, Mother Teresa, than whom there is no more worthy recipient. l am sure all will rejoice, as I do, that the good work done by the ladies of the convent has been appreciated. The motto on their cross is "Faith, hope, and charity," three words forming the insignia under which the Sisters of this convent live and act. I will now, in the name of the late Queen, and behalf of General Maxwell, the officer commanding this district, pin this Order of the Royal Red Cross on you, Mother Teresa, a reward you so well deserve; and allow me to congratulate you upon receiving it.'

Dr T P Hayes, on behalf of the Rev Mother, thanked Colonel Vyvyan for coming to make the presentation. He paid eloquent testimony to the good work achieved by the Mafeking Sisters, and wound up by saying all would appreciate this recognition of their devotedness and usefulness. Cheers were then given for Colonel Vyvyan, after which the company dispersed.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Rory, RobCT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.436 seconds