Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

6th Inniskilling Dragoons Captured Kuilfontein - Medal Entitlement? 6 years 9 months ago #54641

• Baden Powell
  • Thank you received: 34
Just check under BOOKS in the main menu, I think it is the first one listed.
Me, I'm lucky to have a set on the bookshelf. And yes Forum Members "know it all".

BP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6th Inniskilling Dragoons Captured Kuilfontein - Medal Entitlement? 6 years 9 months ago #54642

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
KFS
At the time of your man's capture, the Inniskilling Dragoons were with General French in the Colesberg region of Cape Colony. On the indicated date and place (22/1/00 at Kuilfontein), the 6th ID suffered three casualties according to the SAFF Casualty list; a Sgt. Hanwell (injured), a Pte. Kilpatrick and your man (both of the latter shown as Prisoner), The location (Kuilfontein) was in the Colesberg region and had been occupied by the enemy in 12/99 and in the British advance Northwards were ejected by forces under Maj-Gen. Clements on 22/2/00. The action in which your man was captured is not mentioned in Stirling's "Our Regiments in South Africa"; nor is it mentioned in the Official History. Most likely, the action on 22/1/00 occurred when a probing patrol was snapped up by the Boers. It is the role of Cavalry to see what the enemy is doing and to take risks whilst doing so.
Good luck with your research.
Regards
IL.,

6th Inniskilling Dragoons Captured Kuilfontein - Medal Entitlement? 6 years 9 months ago #54689

• KFS
  • KFS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi BP thanks for that ive just found the book in pdf form on the site where you said and printed off the relevant sections. Much appreciate your time.

6th Inniskilling Dragoons Captured Kuilfontein - Medal Entitlement? 6 years 9 months ago #54690

• KFS
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks IL that's amazing information id never expected to learn so much so quickly on the forum. Im very chuffed! Best wishes chris

6th Inniskilling Dragoons Captured Kuilfontein - Medal Entitlement? 6 years 9 months ago #54692

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
William Ford, an eighteen year old umbrella maker from Brighton and a serving Militiaman in the 3rd Middlesex Regiment joined the "Skillingers" on the 26th of September 1892.
A habitual absentee, he only received his first good conduct pay in 1899 just before his transfer to the Army Reserve, recalled for the Anglo Boer War in October, he managed to forfeit his good conduct pay within a matter of days.
Interestingly, WO97 confirms he was reported missing on the 22nd of February 1900, as well as both his medals and all clasps, Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Belfast on the Queens and both South Africa 1901 and 1902 on the Kings, these are also very clearly shown on the regiments rolls in WO100/115 and WO100/303 respectively.
After being subsequently released, he served with the regiment, both in South Africa and on Home Service until his eventual transfer to the Army Reserve on the 14th of April 1903, he was discharged on the 25th of September 1904.
He gave his next of kin as his father, William Ford of number 38 Steam Street Haggerston London.

KFS wrote: Hi everyone - hoping someone can help with what might be an obvious question. I have a KSA medal named to Pte 3228 W Ford 6th Inniskilling Dragoons. He was captured at Kuilfontein 22nd January 1900. Being this early in the war would he have been issued with both the QSA AND KSA Medals? And if so does anyone know what his QSA entitlement was? And finally I have googled but can't see what the action was on the 22nd when he was taken prisoner. Does anyone know what the Inniskillings were doing on that date? Much appreciated if anyone can shed light on this.

6th Inniskilling Dragoons Captured Kuilfontein - Medal Entitlement? 6 years 9 months ago #54718

• KFS
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Wow thanks Frank - i'm getting far more than i had hoped for here! I now have 2 dates for Pte. Ford being captured then. You say WO97 reports him being taken prisoner on 22/02/1900? From previous posts and the medal roll on the website I thought it was 22/01/1900 when Pte. Kilpatrick was also taken prisoner.
Do you know how I might be able to resolve this?
Thanks again for all your help.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.448 seconds