TOPIC:

JNR Dixon - QSA & Natal Rebellion Medals 6 years 7 months ago #55462

• malcmere
  • malcmere's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Brett

Thanks good to know more detail behind the medal and I will read up on the history of the Natal Rebellion and look into the DCM actions.

As well as Joseph's farm being burnt down in the Natal Rebellion his wife Annie's brothers farm shop was burnt down in Zululand by the Boers in Boer war. So this helps indicate Joseph's motivation to protect the local population and family. Joseph could speak Zulu and was respected by the local population and servants. Thats why they warned him in advance of the attack on his farm so he could escape with his family. I suspect they saw him go and once he was safely away they then burnt down the farm.

Cheers
Malcolm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

JNR Dixon - QSA & Natal Rebellion Medals 6 years 7 months ago #55463

• malcmere
  • malcmere's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Brett

Thanks good to know more detail behind the medal and I will read up on the history of the Natal Rebellion and look into the DCM actions.

As well as Joseph's farm being burnt down in the Natal Rebellion his wife Annie's brothers farm shop was burnt down in Zululand by the Boers in Boer war. So this helps indicate Joseph's motivation to protect the local population and family. Joseph could speak Zulu and was respected by the local population and servants. Thats why they warned him in advance of the attack on his farm so he could escape with his family. I suspect they saw him go and once he was safely away they then burnt down the farm.

Cheers
Malcolm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.378 seconds