Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals Issued To The USA. 6 years 1 month ago #58130

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 142
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, CtahhR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals Issued To The USA. 6 years 1 month ago #58152

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
I am working on my Wepener roll today. I coincidentally came across this entry for Alfred Peter of 1st Brabant's Horse:

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: CtahhR

Medals Issued To The USA. 6 years 1 month ago #58153

• CtahhR
  • CtahhR's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 10
This is some great information popping up. This "internationalist" quirk really fascinates me. There was a lot of migration in the early part of the 20th Century and these Medals issued to far flung places are a lasting reminder.

I really go into such things whilst researching the military history of the men of Indiana County, PA. Nearly half of those registered in the county for the first world war drafts were foreign born. My interest in such things exploded when I researched one of my many Soviet world war II Medals and that was attributed to an American born soldier of the Red Army. I then went on to find around 120 US born servicemen of the Red Army that were decorated during the war, including 8 from this region of Pennsylvania, with the highest ranking and most decorated of all being a Major from Pittsburgh. In researching the Americans in Red Army service I was also furthermore surprised as I found in the Russian Federation archives a record of an American from Pennsylvania serving in the Waffen-SS.

I am going to try and build a bigger picture of the recipient of this duplicate KSAM and hopefully find out the reasons behind it being not only a duplicate but issued to Minnesota.

Medals Issued To The USA. 6 years 1 month ago #58154

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
I remember a number of years ago reading about a Father and Two Sons from Texas who sold horses to the British Army and took a boat load to South Africa..... They stayed in in SA and joined a SA Unit, one was killed and they were auctioning off their 3 medals and a large number of souvenirs...... This must have been about 20 years ago and I was married and had kids and a lot less funds then......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Medals Issued To The USA. 6 years 1 month ago #58168

• CtahhR
Doing a little more research on the KSAM I obtained, issued to MN. The original recipient died in service in 1910. The plot thickens whilst focusing.

When I have the item in hand I will photograph it well enough for all members to take note of the name, until then I am being a touch cautious.

The recipient is not listed anywhere, yet, other than his gravestone - which was paid for by his compatriots.

Medals Issued To The USA. 6 years 4 weeks ago #58199

• CtahhR
Born in Cookstown, County Tyrone, 3554 Private Thomas McAtamney served in the 2nd Battalion, Scottish Rifles earning the South Africa Medal with Transvaal, Tugela Heights, Relief Of Ladysmith and Laing's Nek Clasps and King's South Africa Medal with both clasps. In 1902 his time had expired and he was discharged, returning to Bellshill, Lanarkshire. On the 24th September 1904 he joined the militia, volunteering for the 3rd or 4th Battalion of Scottish Rifles, being placed in 3rd Battalion with service number 5239 and giving his date of birth as May 1878. He then moved back to Cookstown and transferred to the 4th Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers on 12th April 1905 as service number 2816 - he gave them the birth date of May 1875. He was temporarily promoted to Lance Corporal. He joined the 3rd Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers on 12th July 1908 in Omagh as a Private, retaining his service number. He accidentally drowned during his annual training on 10th June 1910.
This duplicate was issued to Mr T.J. Murphy in Billing, Minnesota on 28th August 1919.

It is tired and must have had some serious distress in the past but the price was right and the research priceless. I'll put on a replacement suspension with a pair of clasps and new ribbon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.518 seconds