Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fort Itala 2 months 3 weeks ago #93985

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 763
3257 PRIVATE J. JACKSON: 1ST. BATTALION SOUTH LANCASHIRE REGIMENT MOUNTED INFANTRY.

There is little that I could possibly add to the above account of the battle of Fort Itala on 26th September 1901 that could add to the knowledge of the ferocity of the combat and incredible gallantry displayed by both sides during an engagement which was as critical for either side to gain a positive outcome.
My own humble contribution can only be to add the details of a QSA that I have recently acquired to the above name casualty of Fort Itala.
I would echo the sentiments previously expressed by Bicolboy, that to add a representative medal of a man who was there is a special day indeed.

3257 Private Joseph Jackson was dangerously wounded during the defence of Fort Itala on 26th September 1901 and died of his wounds at Pinetown on 27th October 1901.

His final resting place is located in the cemetery at the Mariannhill Monastery, Pinetown District, KwaZulu-Natal.

Grave site at Marian hill Monastery Cemetery

Headstone erroneously stating that his regiment was 13th Lancers. Watt(2000); Palmer(1999) and Hayward (1982) all give 1 SLR as his regiment.
(Both of the above images are posted here for research purposes only and were taken as screenshots from eGGSA Library website . Original images by Brian Kaighin and Warren Loader).

Queen's South Africa medal awarded posthumously to 3257 Private J. Jackson bearing the clasps Tugela Heights, Orange Free State, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal and Laing's Nek. All clasp entitlement confirmed on Medal Rolls WO100/189 for 1st. SLR. The Medal Rolls do not acknowledge his being killed in action as they were signed off on 14th September 1901 at Vryheid, Transvaal some 12 days prior to the action at Fort Itala.
Another Medal Roll compiled as late as 18th August 1904 in Jubbulpore, India gives entitlement to a sixth clasp South Africa 1901.

Impressed naming to the rim.

Private Jackson is commemorated on the statue in Queen's Gardens, Warrington, Merseyside, England (it was classed as Lancashire back in the day). This memorial commemorates the men of the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the South Lancashire Regiment who perished in South Africa.
I plan to visit the memorial in the very near future.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Jordi, Rory, Sturgy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fort Itala 1 day 21 hours ago #95228

• Moranthorse1
SOUTH LANCASHIRE REGIMENT (PRINCE OF WALES VOLUNTEERS) BOER WAR MEMORIAL,
PALMYRA GARDENS (ALSO KNOWN AS QUEEN'S GARDENS),
PALMYRA SQUARE,
SPRINGFIELD STREET,
WARRINGTON,
CHESHIRE,
WA1 1BL.

ORDNANCE SURVEY GRID REFERENCE:SJ60421 88047.

Following up on my previous post to this thread, I recently paid a visit to this war memorial and found everything on the site to be in good order and in a pleasant public location.
I will not go into great detail on the history of the monument itself. Berenice provides an excellent description and photographs on this forum under "South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales Volunteers". To this I would refer the reader.

Image1---front elevation

Image 2---angled view

Image 3---Roll of Honour for men of the regiment who lost their lives during the conflict.

Image 4---detail above Roll of Honour plaque.

Image 5---3257 Private J. Jackson of the Mounted Infantry who was dangerously wounded at Fort Itala and later succumbed to his injuries, the subject of my previous post to this thread.

Also to be found commemorated on the plaque are his comrades who were all killed in action at Fort Itala (Jackson was the only one to die of his wounds away from the battleground).
These men who died on 26th September 1901 at Fort Itala as follows:

Lt. Kane, H. R.
5654 Private Walker, J.
3299 Private Goulding, H. (R).
5798 Private Keating, R.
3269 Private Jones, M.
5544 Private Pennington, E. (also 3508 initial R).
3370 Private Ford, W. (A).
5073 Private Crawford, L. (C).
3257 Private Jackson, J.

Please note: details in parentheses above are my own corrections to the inscriptions according to casualty rolls etc.).

Image 6---here are the major engagements in which the South Lancashire Regiment took part where many a man met their fate or was wounded.
What a pity that the Thermopylae at Fort Itala was not honoured amongst these battles at the time of commissioning of the memorial. As it only involved a small detachment, a mere handful of men of the Mounted Infantry rather than a regimental action , I would assume that would be the reason why.

Nevertheless, it was good to pay my respects to these South Lancashire men. I would certainly recommend a visit (early morning or evening is best for car parking!).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory, azyeoman, Dave F, Sturgy

Fort Itala 13 hours 3 minutes ago #95242

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 821
Steve - did you take a close-up of the D's on the SLR Memorial in Warrington? If so it should show 4167 Pte. G Duckworth, born in Smethwick and the only defender of nearby Fort Prospect to die on the same day.

This link takes you to photos of the graves & the grave markers of those who died at Fort Itala - apparently they were never reburied in a formal cemetery.

kznpr.co.za/mt-itala-fort-prospect/

This link takes you to Lord Ashcroft's write-up on the man who was awarded the VC for his actions at Fort Itala. Apparently 4 others received the DCM, one of whom was initially recommended for the VC.

www.keymilitary.com/article/hero-month-31
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Fort Itala 10 hours ago #95247

• Moranthorse1
David,

Thanks for providing the links above and the additional information on Duckworth being the only man killed in action at Fort Prospect, and a Smethwickian to boot!

I am afraid that this image is the best I can do to show Private Duckworth's naming. You can pick it up clearly in column two once zoomed in. And apologies for the sideways image, I haven't worked out how to rotate and upload here yet!
Steve
Attachments:

Fort Itala 9 hours 42 minutes ago #95248

• Moranthorse1
What a pity those graves are looking like they are neglected amongst the grass and scrub. But Fort Itala is a remote location and perhaps not visited much?
It would appear that 3257 Jackson ended up with the best cared for plot at Marrianhill Cemetery.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.741 seconds