Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Captain Allen O. Wright the fate of South Australia's Youngest Boer War Veteran 5 years 3 months ago #61615

• Georgegt351
  • Georgegt351's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 31
When I was deeply involved in researching South Australia's Boer War Veterans some 30 years ago I came across Allan O'Halloran Wright who was a Trumpeter in the 2nd South Australian Mounted Rifles-what caught my attention was that his date of birth 27 April 1886 which made him only 14 when he enlisted- He sailed with the Contingent and qualified for a 3 bar QSA before returning home in 1900.

I always thought here is a candidate for being South Australia's oldest veteran because he got a jump start on probably every one else by at least 4-6 years, this was until one day I was in ST Peters Cathedral in Adelaide and saw a brass plaque saying he had been killed in WW 1. He apparently later in life enlisted in the British Army and was killed at Neuven Chappell as a Captain in the Royal Irish Rifles-this service earned him a 14 Star trio with an MID.
There is a quite good article and photo of him in UK, De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour 1914-1919 P386

Just proves you cannot take anything for granted or assume anything about a persons fate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Captain Allen O. Wright the fate of South Australia's Youngest Boer War Veteran 5 years 3 months ago #61625

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
It's quite unfair that so many of them made it through one and sometimes two earlier wars, and when they were at the age when they should consider sitting back, they rose up again but were then killed.

Captain Allen O. Wright the fate of South Australia's Youngest Boer War Veteran 5 years 3 months ago #61629

• ResearchRescue
  • Thank you received: 101
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Georgegt351

Captain Allen O. Wright the fate of South Australia's Youngest Boer War Veteran 5 years 3 months ago #61648

• Georgegt351
That is a very interesting photo you have posted as it is the uniform of the pre-federation South Australian Forces not his Boer war uniform which would indicate that he was involved in military activities even earlier than 14.

Captain Allen O. Wright the fate of South Australia's Youngest Boer War Veteran 5 years 3 months ago #61649

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Those interested members
The book "A Jam Tin of Mosquitoes" by June Haggett and Monty Smith (ISBN:978-1-921207-20-4) - a biographical reference to S Aust volunteers who served in the Boer War - says that "17 Tptr.A. O'H. Wright" of 2SAMR had previous service for some months with 1st., Bn, Infantry before agitating to get his parents to allow him to enlist in 2SAMR. Trumpeter Wright had distinguished forebears.
Regards
IL.

Captain Allen O. Wright the fate of South Australia's Youngest Boer War Veteran 5 years 3 months ago #61659

• Georgegt351
That is one book I have never been able to get a copy off-my friend Neil (Sovereign Antiques here in Adelaide has one) the O'Halloran his middle name is his mothers maiden name.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.448 seconds