• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4718

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

QSA (0) (G. H. Scoble, Ord: H.M.S. Niobe) impressed naming;
1914-15 Star (200181 G. H. Scoble. L.S., R.N.);
British War and Victory Medals (200181 G. H. Scoble. L.S. R.N.)

George Henry Scoble was born in Plymouth, Devon, on 12 January 1881 and joined the Royal Navy as a Boy Second Class on 18 July 1898. He served in HMS Niobe from 1 July 1899 to 2 December 1900, and was promoted Able Seaman on 10 September 1900. Advanced Leading Seaman on 8 November 1904, he saw further service during the Great War in a variety of ships and shore based establishments, and was promoted Petty Officer on 3 September 1920. He was shore pensioned on 14 February 1921; he did not receive a Long Service and Good Conduct Medal.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to HMS Niobe 1 month 4 weeks ago #96166

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4718

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

QSA (1) Cape Colony (R. Wakeham. Pte., R.M.L.I., H.M.S. Niobe) small impressed naming;
[ 1914 Star and clasp ];
British War Medal (Ply. 7915 Pte. R. Wakeham. R.M.L.I.);
[ VM ];
Royal Navy LS&GC Ed VII (Ply. 7915 Richard Wakeham Pte. R.M.L.I.)

Noonan's say approximately 129 one-clasp Queen’s South Africa Medals were awarded to the ship’s company of HMS Niobe, around 60 of them to men of the Royal Marine Light Infantry.

Richard Wakeham was born in Lancashire in December 1877 and enlisted in the Royal Marine Light Infantry in April 1896. Posted to the Plymouth Division, he served aboard the 1st class cruiser Niobe from December 1898 to November 1900, during which period he was among those landed at Walfisch Bay, with two Maxims and a 12-pounder field gun, in February of the latter year. He was awarded his Long Service and Good Conduct Medal in June 1911.

Wakeham joined the RM Brigade in September 1914 and was one of around 50 Marines attached to the Armoured Car Section, RNAS, and served in Antwerp, qualifying for the 1914 Star with clasp - the latter appears to have been issued to his sister in 1929. Sadly, however, he was killed in action on 28 April 1917, while a member of the 2nd Royal Marine Battalion, a component of the Royal Naval Division. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial, France.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds