Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Body Guard 4 years 7 months ago #65309

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
A superb and scarce medal, very nice indeed.

LinneyI wrote: Forum members
In line with the Topic, IL would offer the following examples for viewing and comment:
QSA with clasps "Relief of Kimberley", "Paardeburg", "Dreifontein", "Johannesburg", "Diamond Hill", "Belfast"
Impressed to "5, Tpr. L.Bramley, C.IN.C. Bdygd"

Trooper Lionel Bramley served with Lord Roberts' Bodyguard between 23/1/00 and 24/6/00 and his medal was issued 23/2/05. A quick check on the original members of Lord Roberts' Bodyduard gives a total of seventy-one. Clasp entitlements appear to vary a little.
Regards to all
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Body Guard 4 years 7 months ago #65311

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Frank,

Did IL mean during the Boer War?
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Body Guard 4 years 7 months ago #65312

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
IL,

I have been through some of the attestation papers for the CincBG but cannot see Tpr Bramley. Most of the papers seem to relate to the expansion of the Body Guard. It could be misfiled.

Do you have any CinCBG attestation papers?
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Body Guard 4 years 7 months ago #65319

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
David
Some time ago, I asked Peter Singlehurst to research Tpr. Bramley and he did not come up with anything. Which was a disappointment. And I have never seen any other attestation papers for the Bodyguard; only a copy of a Discharge for another Bodyguard member in my collection.
Frank
Concerning the "GOC/CinC Bodyguard" named WW1 medals, I assumed - in the absence of any other information - they were for a member of the British army. Hence the puzzlement over "GOC" vs "CinC Bodyguard". Was the WW1 "CinC Bodyguard" a South African unit? BTW, I am well aware that neither Haig nor French served in GSWA.
Perhaps the description of Colonel Douglas Haig as a "luminary" during the Boer War was a little strong. There was criticism of some of his column work - but it certainly never hampered him in his quest for the top job.
Regards
IL.

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Body Guard 4 years 7 months ago #65323

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
I have come to this thread late and I wonder if I am missing the point with the ABW and WWI CiC's Bodyguard. Their only link is in their name. The WWI unit was made up of men from the South African Police and they protected General Botha in the GSWA Campaign, just as Buller's Bodyguard was a Natal Police unit that had a similar function in the ABW.

Brett

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Body Guard 4 years 7 months ago #65324

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Ian,
No, the medals are not BEF, whilst David does not show the AVM, it would be a bilingual example issued by the Union government for service in GWSA, there were no Constables in the MMP or MFP.
Regards Frank

LinneyI wrote: David
Some time ago, I asked Peter Singlehurst to research Tpr. Bramley and he did not come up with anything. Which was a disappointment. And I have never seen any other attestation papers for the Bodyguard; only a copy of a Discharge for another Bodyguard member in my collection.
Frank
Concerning the "GOC/CinC Bodyguard" named WW1 medals, I assumed - in the absence of any other information - they were for a member of the British army. Hence the puzzlement over "GOC" vs "CinC Bodyguard". Was the WW1 "CinC Bodyguard" a South African unit? BTW, I am well aware that neither Haig nor French served in GSWA.
Perhaps the description of Colonel Douglas Haig as a "luminary" during the Boer War was a little strong. There was criticism of some of his column work - but it certainly never hampered him in his quest for the top job.
Regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.535 seconds