Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Mitchell of the Cape Town Highlanders with the Silver O'Okiep 4 years 2 months ago #67738

• rdarby
  • rdarby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
Thanks you have both found more than I did in a weekend of searching!

The address on the letter is indeed the same as the one on the census. This tells me that the family did have two W Mitchell’s even though I haven’t found other records of this.

The 1886 enlistment date is about what I thought it would be. Thanks for sharing that.

I would love to get a definitive date of birth but your dates seem reasonable. I’m resigned to the fact these are different people and may be father and son. I don’t have an Ancestry subscription but may need to try proving a relationship there.

Does anything actually exists for the CTH in Cape Town?

Thanks very much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mitchell of the Cape Town Highlanders with the Silver O'Okiep 4 years 2 months ago #67739

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 427
Hello Ryan,

A few other Photo's which will either help you or create more questions..

Regards

Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
Attachments:

Mitchell of the Cape Town Highlanders with the Silver O'Okiep 4 years 2 months ago #67740

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 427
Hello Ryan,

I have found very little to the CTH but every visit reveals a little more so who knows what might crop up. I will keep my eyes open for you.

Regards
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Mitchell of the Cape Town Highlanders with the Silver O'Okiep 4 years 2 months ago #67745

• Arthur R
  • Thank you received: 107
Those photos are very interesting, Adrian.

So, putting this all together : he joined the CTH on 03.03.1886 (making him one of the very early members, as the unit had been founded in April 1885) -- promoted through the ranks to reach RSM in 1897 -- commissioned as lieutenant 1900 -- promoted to captain 1901.

Evidently the wartime commissions fell away and he was re-commissioned after the war : Lieutenant 01.06.1903 -- Captain 07.11.1905 -- Quartermaster 01.08.1908 -- Major (honorary)* 31.03.1912 -- transferred to the "new force" i.e. the Citizen Force 01.07.1913. Eventually placed on the Retired List in 1921, after 35 years service.

*Staff officers such as QMs and Adjutants were given honorary ranks, and could be promoted at set intervals.
Regards
Arthur

Mitchell of the Cape Town Highlanders with the Silver O'Okiep 4 years 2 months ago #67751

• rdarby
  • rdarby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
How did you find the Mitchell letter? It's for sale here in Brisbane! I drive past that shop all the time!

Mitchell of the Cape Town Highlanders with the Silver O'Okiep 4 years 2 months ago #67752

• Arthur R
  • Thank you received: 107
I googled Mitchell's name and regiment, and the sale came up in the results.
Regards
Arthur

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.625 seconds