Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Yorkshire Regiment 10 months 4 weeks ago #90146

• Myer
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I HAVE Pte. LEE Medal QSA do we know any information as to cause of accident. Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Yorkshire Regiment 6 months 2 days ago #92677

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Myer,

No, I do not have any details of what happened in Burghersdorp on 31 January 1902. I will see if there is any regimental history that could shed light on this.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Yorkshire Regiment 6 months 2 days ago #92678

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noble Numismatics

QSA (3) Relief of Kimberley; Paardeberg; Driefontein (3252 Pte G.Birks York:Regt.) Impressed.

KIA 10 March 1900 at Driefontein.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Yorkshire Regiment 6 months 1 day ago #92696

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noble Numismatics

QSA (2) Cape Colony, Orange Free State (1868 Pte W.Dalton, York: Regt);
KSA (2) (1868 Corpl: W.Dalton, York: Regt)

William Dalton. Service papers exist.

Born 1871 in South Stockton, Yorkshire, England.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Yorkshire Regiment 2 months 3 weeks ago #94134

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

QSA (5) Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902 (Capt: F. A. Bagley, York Rgt.);
1914 Star (Capt: F. A. Bagley, S. Lan: R.);
British War and Victory Medals (Capt. F. A. Bagley)

Frank Adams Bagley was born in April 1882, and was the son of Charles Bagley JP, of Westwood, Hartburn, Stockton-on-Tees. The latter being the Managing Director of the South Durham Steel and Iron Company Ltd. Bagley was educated at Clifton College, and commissioned Second Lieutenant in the 4th Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment in February 1900. He advanced to Lieutenant in August of the same year, and was one of 2 officers and 49 NCOs and other ranks of the Battalion and Yorkshire details that sailed for service in South Africa in March 1901. During their service in the Second Boer War, they formed part of the 21st and 4th Mounted Infantry Regiments. Bagley is mentioned several times in the 4th Battalion’s History by Major R. B. Turton - and indeed was a major contributor to the details of that publication.

Bagley advanced to Captain in February 1902, and transferred to the South Lancashire Regiment the next year. He served during the Great War with the 2nd Battalion on the Western Front from 13 August 1914. Bagley ‘took part in the retreat from Mons, the engagement at Le Cateau, where he performed a fine piece of work when his company got cut off, by managing to bring it back with two machine guns; the fighting at Solesmes; the Battle of the Marne and the Aisne, and was seriously wounded at La Bassée, 21 Oct. [1914]; returned to the front in June, 1915; was wounded again, 31 July, but rejoined his battalion 20 Aug., and died in the Field Hospital at Poperinghe, 2 Oct. following, from wounds received in action at the Battle of Loos, 25 Sept., while leading his company in an attack...

His Colonel wrote: “He again showed himself a very gallant English gentleman, and I have today received paper from Col. Ashworth recommending him for a Military Cross for gallantry on the Aisne. This should have been done ages ago. I have myself today added a recommendation for the D.S.O., which Frank most thoroughly deserves.”

Captain Bagley was Mentioned in Despatches by F.M. Sir John (now Lord) French (London Gazette 1 January 1916), for gallant and distinguished service in the field.’ (The Roll of Honour Vol. III refers)

Captain Bagley, who also is mentioned in the Regimental History, is buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemtery, Belgium.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.653 seconds