Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

58 Farr Sjt R H Tellam 2 years 2 months ago #81775

• jim51
  • jim51's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 104
Hi Ross,

Thanks for the response. I am intending to go to Innisfail later in the year and will check if the grave is there. If CT has an historical group they may have info on the occupants of the cemetery.
Southern Cross Scots is long out off print but a s/hand copy should be available. If not I can scan the pages of interest.
There is a rotunda at a park in CT that has the names of locals who went to the Boer War but Richard’s name is not on it unfortunately. It only seems to have the names of those who left with the various Queensland Contingents.
That medal is widely travelled, I first saw it on a U K dealers list and it next appeared on Noble’s Auction as part of the Bill Woolmore collection.
Thanks got the photo of the headstone.

Cheers,

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

58 Farr Sjt R H Tellam 2 years 2 months ago #81832

• Ross
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Many thanks Jim for your reply.
One day I will visit CT and see the rotunda even though Richard is not mentioned. I will also look more closely at the cemetery records.
I like the idea that the medal has travelled extensively as it closely reflects Richard's own life. Cornwall, Charters Towers, South Africa (Boer War), London, South Africa, Australia (visited about 1936) , South Africa.
My sister will look for the Southern Cross Scots book in the national library this week.
Cheers and many thanks! Much appreciated.
Ross

58 Farr Sjt R H Tellam 2 years 2 months ago #81833

• jim51
Hi Ross,

It is my pleasure indeed.

Cheers,

Jim

58 Farr Sjt R H Tellam 2 years 1 month ago #81898

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
Hi Jim & Ross,

Over the previous weekend when the missus caught up with friends from Charters Towers, I decided to make an extra stop at the Charters Towers Monumental & Lawn Cemetery (also known as Lynd Highway Cemetery), off the Lynd Highway.

I hope Jim, that I have saved you an extra longer trip to Innisfail, by doing a bit of research, I was able to find the final resting place for Richard Harris Tellam's parents, William Tellam and his wife Hannah. Both have been interned in plots in the Methodist area of the cemetery and are side by side, and the burials are separated by a period of approximately 11 years.

On the left - Section 47, Plot 30, Grave No. 9826. Hannah Tellam, DOD. 24 June 1943.

On the right - Section 47, Plot 20, Grave No. 8036. William Tellam, DOD. 13 May 1932.

(The Northern Herald, Cairns Qld., Saturday 21 May, 1932)

The next couple of articles are taken from regional papers and the first story is about the visit to Australia by Richard and his wife, Ella during 1939 and the death of Ella, a short time after returning to South Africa from Australia.

(Johnstone River Advocate and Innisfail News, Qld., Friday 19 May, 1939)

(The Northern Miner, Charters Towers QLD., Friday 24 Nov, 1939)

Trev

58 Farr Sjt R H Tellam 2 years 1 month ago #81906

• jim51
Hi Trev,

Many thanks for that, I have never visited the Charters Towers cemetery and will not need to now for a while.
To be honest I would not have thought to look at those papers, I take it you use Trove?

I have a single Victory to a fellow who was born outside CT and I understand he is buried in CT cemetery. A task for the future.

Thanks again, I owe you a beer or two for that.

Cheers,

Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trev

58 Farr Sjt R H Tellam 2 years 1 month ago #81907

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
Hi Jim,

All good mate, glad to be able to assist in some more relevant information so that you can build on a life history for Richard Tellam. I’m glad there were at least plot numbers at the cemetery, as due to no headstones on the gravesite it would of made the task that more difficult.

You’ve gotta love Trove, when researching any Aussie it’s my go to search engine site and it rarely disappoints.

Also a good pickup and prior research on the initial QSA which has paid off. I had a look at the Noble Auction website again and it gives up no information that Far. Sgt. Tellam was actually an Australian resident.

Trev

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.703 seconds