Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Cape Colony bar 3 years 9 months ago #70713

• Kathy re Coppock
  • Kathy re Coppock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Thank you Frank. I'm on a steep learning curve with all of this. My grandfather was shipped home early due to severe 'enteric fever' (which I now understand was typhoid), arriving at Shorncliffe 18 March 1902 having become hospitalised on New Years' Eve 1901 at Norvals Pont. His discharge papers show that he was discharged in England on 19 April 1902 on "his own request". So he was lucky to miss the end of the war, but unlucky to be seriously ill. He would have wanted to recover his physical strength and return to work as a lighterman. I had to look up Vereeniging and now understand that is where the Peace Treaty was signed.

The Cape Colony bar always seems to be displayed beneath the others, so that led me to think that active service in that Colony would always take place before the other engagements.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cape Colony bar 3 years 9 months ago #70714

• Kathy re Coppock
Reading again through the Composition of Columns section in the Contents PDF of Volume VII of Creswicke, I see that there is nothing to distinguish between the Imperial Yeomanry squadrons, except for their squadron number. They are not identified by their companies, except for the Royal West Kent. The numbers in brackets refer to the strength of each squadron). This is unhelpful to the family historian. And yet I wonder whether the squadrons are listed in any greater detail in another publication?

Cape Colony bar 3 years 9 months ago #70715

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The bars on medals were normally in the sequence of the particular AO authorising them, I should not be at all concerned about it, if you encountered a medal to the 91st without the Cape Colony bar attached to the suspension, you might, quite reasonably, assume it had been messed with at some point.
Yes, I looked at your grandfather recently, a lighterman, like his father, notwithstanding, that in itself in no possible way detracts, there was a real mixture, ranging from men about town as well as tradesmen, but, the vast majority were Londoner's, sturdy types with big black moustaches, as your photograph clearly shows.
He would still have to come up to standard be accepted, they were men who could be relied upon, moreover, in those days, shooting was very popular, with very many miniature rifle clubs across the home counties, particularly in Middlesex, the Lee Metford would perhaps be a step up, but, I would think, have been little issue to him.

quote="Kathy re Coppock" post=70713]Thank you Frank. I'm on a steep learning curve with all of this. My grandfather was shipped home early due to severe 'enteric fever' (which I now understand was typhoid), arriving at Shorncliffe 18 March 1902 having become hospitalised on New Years' Eve 1901 at Norvals Pont. His discharge papers show that he was discharged in England on 19 April 1902 on "his own request". So he was lucky to miss the end of the war, but unlucky to be seriously ill. He would have wanted to recover his physical strength and return to work as a lighterman. I had to look up Vereeniging and now understand that is where the Peace Treaty was signed.

The Cape Colony bar always seems to be displayed beneath the others, so that led me to think that active service in that Colony would always take place before the other engagements.[/quote]

Cape Colony bar 3 years 9 months ago #70716

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I would be inclined to go with published regimental histories, rather than general histories of the war itself, I think the best thing for you to do would be to have a chat with any available archivist at Hever and then perhaps pop down to view their collection as opportunity presents at some point in the future.

Kathy re Coppock wrote: Reading again through the Composition of Columns section in the Contents PDF of Volume VII of Creswicke, I see that there is nothing to distinguish between the Imperial Yeomanry squadrons, except for their squadron number. They are not identified by their companies, except for the Royal West Kent. The numbers in brackets refer to the strength of each squadron). This is unhelpful to the family historian. And yet I wonder whether the squadrons are listed in any greater detail in another publication?

Cape Colony bar 3 years 9 months ago #70718

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2149
Hi Kathy

I may be way off the mark here but Mepstead's angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-awar...n-the-boer-war#22536 Boer War journey might well have mirrored your relatives's to an extent. He was with the 91st/92nd.

When I wrote this I hadn't access to a large library - subsequently that has changed and, if I am again not mistaken, there may be a mention in Amery's Official Times History of the War which is readable online under the books section here. Go to Volume VII - the index and search for the 91st.

Regards

Rory

Cape Colony bar 3 years 9 months ago #70726

• Kathy re Coppock
Frank, I had no idea that Hever had a military archive. I live near Tunbridge Wells, so not too far away once things open up again for research.

Rory, I reread your account about Mepstead and he was in the 92nd battalion, my grandfather was in the 91st. I know he was at Tafel Kop in the OFS, then later at Boschbult in Transvaal, but the precise service of the 91st (or the 23rd battalion IY 3rd Sharpshooters) is all very fuzzy prior to Tafel Kop. I think I've worked out that in Amery's index he refers to company numbers rather than battalion numbers. One has to be a bit of a detective.

I think that what I've gathered is that there was so much in the way of movement of troops and different engagements going on it was probably difficult to keep precise track of every detail. This may have to do for the time being.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.498 seconds